Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Poor running 350.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chewy, Oct 24, 2000.

1. Chewy

Chewy 1/2 ton status

Ok here's the problem: The engine, a 1988 350 TBI, starts and idles fine. If you rev the engine up while in neutral or park, there are no problems. However, when in gear and I try to rev the engine up, it boggs down to a point where it is not developing any power. I have tried cleaning the fuel injectors, cleaning the throttle body, the O2 sensor is brand new, and the spark plugs all check out OK. Please Help!

[​IMG] '87 Beast
    Colorado, USA

2. Mike87

Mike87 Registered Member

Check your catalytic converter....I bet it is plugged.

Good Luck,
    Mike (#87)

3. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

could be the Cat ... I would check that 1st. But if that's a nogo, check your fuel pressure. I had an '87/'88 Jimmy with the 350/TBI that started doing that and I ended up replacing the fuel pump to correct it.

When I replaced the fuel pump, I took the opportunity to cut an access panel in the floor so if I ever had to change it again, I wouldn't have to drop the tank. Something to think about if you end up dropping the tank to change it out.

Thomas.

-- '84 K5 Blazer --
    http://stoopalini.coloradok5.com/index.html

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Do the easist first. Change the fuel filter!

5. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

I would also say fuel problem. Replace fuel filter. Are you getting any trouble codes?

6. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

You can check to see if the cat is working by holding your hand by the tail pipe while some one revs the motor. It should push plenty of air, and at an idle it should pulsate. I had a cat go on me years ago in a car and it would idle fine and go wide open but nothing in between, but it sounds like a fuel filter to me....

Love, Peace, and Hair Grease...........