Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Poor us, more smog crap...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Avery4jc, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

http://www.fordmuscle.com/blog/california-smog-law-pure-bs/1122

Also if you look in the October 2006 issue of Petersen's 4 Wheel & Off-Road there is an article on the new restrictions that diesel's will have to abide by. Looks like in a few years not even diesel's will be safe, sorry 6.2 and 6.5 guys.

-Avery

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

they already do here...

In MA,they are already now "randomly" testing "light duty" diesels in pickups and cars..supposedly,its one out of every 5 or 6 vehicles that get "randomly" picked ,as to who gets "sniffed"...but I'm betting an old truck like my 82 K20 will set off a "red flag"in the registry's computer, and ensure I'll be sniff tested,seeing an older motor is more likely to flunk the emission test..:(

First I have to renew my expired plates--(41 bucks!)--fix the brakes (new master cylinder,30 bucks)...then when I get 30 more bucks,I can go see if I get a simple "safety" sticker,or if they'll bust my agates by sniff testing it!:mad: ...then ,if I can cough up another 30 for diesel fuel,I might even get to drive it again,and see what else has rotted,rusted,or broken while it sat the past 6 months!..:(

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

No matter. We still have Change of Ownership areas to reduce the impact.

4. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

I remember it use to be based on the year of the engine (in the late 70's early 80's), then they changed it to the year of the car, now I guess they're going to do both and whatever has the later date is what it will be smogged to.

I will say being raised in the 60's-70's, and remembering the Stage-3 smog alerts in the summer when I couldnt see the signal light which was 5 houses away, or have recess at school cuz your lungs would hurt so bad from the smog, that things are much much better considering the population of autos has grown by the thousands

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I already have to do a full on dyno E-test with my 6.2 every year...not that big a deal really.

Rene

6. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

good ole north carolina, we no longer are sniffered. 95 and older is safety only, 8 bucks, 96+ is OBDII, 30 bucks. This year was the first year like that, it used to be 73+ was sniffered.

7. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

considering you could run an import on my exhuast, im glad im sniffer exempt. i spend enough time keepin the dang thing in one piece...much less fartin rainbows!