Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Poorman's one person top remover

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jakeslim, Jun 12, 2005.

1. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Once unbolted, I am able to remove top in a couple of minutes with this setup.
    -Four 5gallon buckets
    -four 4x4 post
    -four bags of quick set cement
    -two 2x4's

1)I set the 4x4 post in the buckets with cement, cut to a length that extend just above the top part of the blazer rear cab(not the top).
    2)I set up the post at each corner corner of top.
    3)From inside cab, I slip the two by fours under each end of top, lifted a bit to rest it on the 4x4 post(that are in the buckets).
    4)The top is not just an inch or two above the k5. I can pull out of garage or pull back in and just park under the top. I drilled some holes thru the 2x4's into the 4x4's and dropped a bolt(loose) into as a safety measure, but it pulles right out for quick release.

I've had it setup for a couple of weeks with no problems. The buckets are weighted sufficiently at all four corners to support the top without being shakey. It takes me 60 seconds(once unbolted) to remove top now, or put back on, and it take very little space.

This setup took me about an hour to setup, can be moved, works in a sideyard, backyard, garage or driveway and if i move, the buckets come with me and have carrying handles!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Cool idea....:D

3. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

very nice...i wish i had somewhere i could back straight up to to do that with my top...

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

very clever!

I LIKE IT!!....I am tempted to be the first to copy your idea...I have a cap for my truck I've used only once in many years(due to it being a PITA to put on and remove..)--I was thinking about using it as a "garage" for my riding mower,(rather than junk it!)-by making a similar setup out of some 4x4 posts I have hanging around..but was too lazy to dig holes in the tree root infested soil,in the 90+ degree heat this weekend..(I already have the posts and buckets!--only need cement! :laugh:I have several sheets of OSB I could box in the sides with to keep out the weather and vermin :thinking: )...

I like your idea--its portable,and can be quickly moved to another location!..It would be nice to have my mower close to my shop,instead of 100 ft. away in the backyard,in a shed that several skunks have taken up residence in! :yikes: --only good thing about the "gaurd skunks" is they deter anyone from trying to steal it!..serve them right if they get sprayed..--but its ME that will likely get sprayed more than anyone else! :crazy:

5. ntx78k5

ntx78k5 1/2 ton status

You know you could put heavy duty casters on the bottom of those buckets before you poor the cement and set it up to roll. My blazer is way to tall to go in my garage but I could unload the top outside then roll it into the garage. Make it wide enough and tall enough I could park my car under it.

Sorry for perverting your idea but its a hell of a starting point.

6. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Maybe there is a way to make the 4x4 posts adjustable, meaning up and down. Then the taller trucks could remove the top outside the garage, then (with the caster idea) roll it into the garage. I guess some tubing drilled for using pins might work.

7. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

we mounted a boat trailer winch (manual but could do electric) to the garage ceiling... and he would pull a jeep in... and use the rubber coated hooks that we used on the end of the straps.... hook it under the tops lips.... (sounds weird) and just crank er up.... 1 person and easy... plus you put the winch in the corner and use a pulley.... thus you can lift it up to the ceiling and not loose space.. actually use space that you may not be using :cool1: