Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pop quiz for the auto mechanic????

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by chevyfumes, Nov 9, 2004.

1. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

09 Chrysler Cirrus,Leaking water out the top of the engine at the pump, brother comes over and skips a tooth on the timing belt, I put it back together best I can without getting to the back timing belt cover ( there are 3 of these fawkers), so I put it all back together after repairing the water pump (still leaks like a sieve)Must be the tube that goes into the block... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gifSo then I try to start it.....Nothing, just turns over and over and over, no compression. So can anyone guess what happened????And how much it's going to cost me because my Brother was drunk off his ass and fawked up..... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    09 Chrysler Cirrus

[/ QUOTE ]

You must be drunk also to think you own a 09 Chrysler Cirrus. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

On a serious note, you said the timing belt was installed a tooth off. If the timing belt is installed incorrectly you will have valves making love to the pistons and end up with little or no compression. Usually it takes more than 1 tooth though and usually more like several teeth before you have this problem.

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifOK it's a 98 and when my bro did his magic it moved the front 3 teeth and by the time I got the back on( under the cover I couldn't get off) it was off by 11 teeth... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifThose valves were making dirty love to the pistons... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifNow guess how much??? and this would be before they fix the water leak.... /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

4. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I think your main problem is having a car from the future

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gifThose bastard will sell ya anything won't they.... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

6. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

Lets see... Chrysler product, dipshit dealership doing the work(?)...

I am guessing about 3500.00 give or take a couple bucks

7. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

tIME FOR SOME REMANED HEADS! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    AND "if" I did the job I'd charge about 500.00 to swap out the heads! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If it has the 2.5L, you may want to re-think that offer before he takes you up on it /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif. I bet Topdown isn't too far off, maybe a tad high, but not by much /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif .

The only suggestion that I have is to check the re-sale value of the car before emptying that dump truck full-o-money into it. Around here those cars aren't worth jack for trade-in (maybe a grand to 1500 if you get a genereous individual), but it may be different where you are at /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif.

9. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

You're right on, it's the 2.5...Dude wants 1600 and we're not able to buy another car just yet so we're gonna have to eat this one, It was an expensive lesson, but a well learned one, never listen to my brother, although he was right about the whole "lefty loosey, righty tighty" thing when I was a kid... I think that was about the extent of his wisdom.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Got ride of a 98 Dodge Stratus, basicly the same as a Chrysler Cirrus. Couldn't be happer.

11. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Dude wants 1600

[/ QUOTE ]

Ouch... that takes a chunk outta the "insulate the shop, buy a bender and convert one bay into a paint booth" fund. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    It was an expensive lesson, but a well learned one, never listen to my brother, although he was right about the whole "lefty loosey, righty tighty" thing when I was a kid... I think that was about the extent of his wisdom.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh... yeah... /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

12. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I still wanna know whos bright idea it was to put the engine in sideways.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Might be time to find a smashed one in a junkyard and do an engine swap?

Maybe cheaper if you could find someone here to do the swap.

Just a thought.

14. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I already told the guys at the shop to fix it, we need it now....Like I said it was a well learned lesson, not only for me but my wife as well, doubt she will ever buy another car with ou me looking at it again...."It's just so cute and it has leather and a CD changer" will forever haunt me... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

15. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

Offer stands! you buy the head(s) and all the particulars(gaskets coolant, oil,machine work, ect,ect,ect) and I'll do the work, you gotta getit here too. $500.00 labor charge, ya won't beat it! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif