Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pop top?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BIG*RED, May 18, 2006.

1. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

So my Supra has a sliding moon roof. Kinda nice, especially on a warm night.
    and i got to looking at my K5...and thinking....:doah:

Who here has a NON full convertable K5 with a sun/moon roof?

and show some pics.. I heard its not to hard to do. a shop told me they would put one in my k5 for a couple hundred, parts and labor.."guarenteed not to leak"

2. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

If you use your truck for wheeling I don't think it's a good idea. My roof flexes and make funny popping sounds when I get flexed out, I don't think that would be good for a moon roof.

3. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Hijack. Anyone know of an install in a Burb?

4. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

Pvfjr has one in his stepside. its the old crank style like off a 70's motor home.

5. 89K5guy

89K5guy 1/2 ton status

My 79 had a sunroof and it looked cool.The funny thing is though that when I had the top off and the sunroof out i would wonder why not just make it a full convertible.There wasn't much roof left.The guy that owned it before me had a huge sunroof installed.I say go for it.If you don't like it at least there isn't much left to cut off to make a full time convertible.:D

6. Tominator II

Tominator II 1/2 ton status

Sunroof(s)

I have a 77 Jimmy with 2 sunroofs. A larger one in the cab roof and a smaller one in the fiberglass top. The larger one came off a Jeep fiberglass roof a friend of mine found thrown down a hill. I first mounted it in a 63 Chevy k10, then a 73 Chevy K10 turned k30. When I corkscrew rolled that truck off an icy road at 60mph backwards and messed up the rear of the cab roof I pulled the same sunroof off again and installed it in my Jimmy which I wheel HARD. I just use silicone under the top edge when I mount it and it has never leaked. I pull both sunroof glass sections out often and have them open almost all the time when driving. The rear sunroof I took off a Subaru and mounted in my old solid rear side window rear roof and remounted in my newer opening side window rear roof and it doesnt leak either.I thoroughly enjoy having them and so do my wife and kids. All you need is a jigsaw to cut the hole(s). I am too cheap to be a member so I can't post pics here. Not really my loss though.