Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pop up campers

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by MTBLAZER89, Jun 22, 2004.

1. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Anybody have one. Me and the wife thinking about maybe getting one of these. Just wanted some opinions pros or cons. Don't really need a camper, but with 2 small kids it makes things easier.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

One thing to look at is things that can or can't be accessed with the top down. A buddy of mine hates one thing about his. He has to fully raise the top in order to fill the fridge with supplies. Then he still has to carry a cooler inside the tow rig for sandwiches, drinks, etc. so that he doesn't have to raise the top at a rest area along the highway, just to be able to make lunch. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

There are a lot of things that make them attractive. a lot that make you wish you would have just bought a travel trailer. Here are some questions to ask.

Is weight an issue.
    How much do you want to spend.
    What kind of terrain are you pulling it through.
    How often do you plan on using it.
    Do you have a place to store it?

These are just a few. I could go into the pros and cons of each, but I do not think the server has enough disk space to handle that post.

Anyway, depending on how you answer the above questions, will depend on whether a tent trailer, travel trailer, or just sticking with sleeping on the ground is right for you.

Whether you have a travel trailer or tent trailer, it is nice to be able to get out of the weather and be able to sit down and make dinner, play cards, or what ever.

4. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

I'd stay far away from them unless you can get a great deal on an old one. You'd be better off getting a small travel trailer. Those pop ups ALWAYS seem to rip and crack.

5. justwhatido

justwhatido 1/2 ton status

My folks had four of us boys. We traveled all over the US (AL to CA and all over the Smokies and southeastern US). It was GREAT.
    /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif
    Fred

6. MTBLAZER89

Thanks for the replies. Don't so much need a camper but it would just make it easier. Wear and Tear is a concern for me with the pop-up's I would rather have a small travel trailer, but don't really need that much, and I like the light weight of the pop-up's /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

there is a company that makes a hard side pop up, they weigh half of what the regular travel trailers are and when popped up, they look just like a travel trailer. I'll search for the website tonight. one thing though, they are expensive.

EDIT- found the website for ya. trailmanor

8. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

I would love to have a popup camper that way it isnt sticking up a mile in the air when you are driving down the highway.

I already have an enclosed trailer that is set up for longer stays out in the woods but my truggy doesnt fit in there anymore so I will be moving on to a flat bed deck trailer and want a light weight camper.

I also have an older 12ft cab over camper that is heavy as hell and a pain in the arse to load and unload so a light popup would fit my likes perfect. if someone sees one for a good deal post it up I know I would be interested.

9. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Brian,

Before I got my Slide in Popup Truck Camper, I had a pop-up camper in Atlanta. It was the perfect setup. Lightweight, and very easy to tow around, hell I use to tow it behind my trailer it was so light. There are some things to look out for, if you are buying used, make sure you check the canvas for mold an mildue. Like was stated above, make sure you can access the camper with the door down, much easier to load and unload.

Don't buy new, they are way overpriced, there are lots on Ebay and used. You can get a hell of a deal buying one used, get one with all the stuff if possible. They get cold in the colder weather, some of the newer ones have AC, and heaters.

Once you move up from a tent, you got to a pop-up then to whatever, everyone who camps alot, at one time or another has used a popup.

Good luck and enjoy it, they are a lot of fun.

Rob

10. MTBLAZER89

I rented an A-liner from the outdoor equipment place on base this weekend. Little bit small, but it was one of the A-frame shaped ones with the hard sides. I like the hard walls but there was NO room inside with the beds down. It worked for the cold night's (we were at 8300 ft) so thats good, but if I rent another one it'll be a pull camper trailer. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

I've been thinking of a towable pop up camper also. Wish I would have had one last week in Bishop with all the rain and all. Also, I'm getting too old to climb in and out of a small tent on my knees. I saw one of the "A" frame solid wall ones. Didn't see the inside though. Going to start checking eBay...

Thanks for this post. Now I know what to ask when looking for one... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

The last two years I used a small 17' travel trailer. I sold it earlier this year & got a 93 Jayco pop-up. I love it for the most part, but there are some drawbacks.

Pros:
    - light-weight
    - Easy to tow - My wife tows w/ her burb.
    - Cheaper than travel trailer

Cons:
    - Have to lift to get into anything.
    - Potential tears.
    - Still "tent" when comes to weather.

Overall, I'm happy with it. I can completely set up in under 30 minutes. Mine has a queen, full and twin beds. Plenty big for my family of five.

13. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

A liner here's the web site for those campers, so you can see some lay outs of them.

14. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I happen to be a service advisor at a marine & sport center. We sell Jayco, Keystone & Sun Valley campers and service most makes. The problems that I see with popups are mostly that anything 10+ years old will start having problems with the cables/lifting system. In older ones, the supports rot out. The canvas on popups tends to get mildew. We rented them a couple of times this year just to have heat & try them out. We have 3 kids, ages 4, 7 and 9. It was very nice to be warm & dry, but then again it rained both weekends when we were packing up. Same as the tent - had to take it home and set it up again to dry.

New campers come with their share of troubles, too. It seems that a large number of them come back with a "laundry list" of little things (sometimes not-so-little things) wrong with them. You'd think for the price that they would all be well-built, but they are built to be light weight and cost effective. Of the 3 brands we carry, Jayco is the best in the way of quality, followed by Keystone, and Sun Valley at the bottom of the list.

We had a trade-in from before I was there. I think it came in spring 2003. A 1980 Cricket truck camper that had a leaking roof vent, which in turn caused boards to rot out in the main bed area. It was offered to us for $100 and they thought the furnace and refrigerator didn't work. Well, I bought it. The fridge is fine - just needed cleaning. We have about another $100-$150 into it to repair a part on the furnace, repair the roof and replace some other piddly things. It took a few days worth of elbow grease on my part to do the roof and give it a thorough cleaning, but now it's good to go! There is room enough for everyone to sleep in it, if it's raining I don't have to set it back up or pack it up in the rain, and we can pull a trailer to boot!

15. 82diesel

82diesel 1/2 ton status

Make sure if you get one that the door extends into the pop up part. Otherwise you have to be a midget or contortionists to get in and out of the damn thing.

16. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Its such a hard choice! TT, slide in, or slide in pop up!

17. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I went with a slide-in so I could still haul a car trailor places. You loose the bed though and that can be a pain. On regular camping trips, I almost need a utility trailor to haul around the extra junk for the kids and stuff. Beats the heck out of a tent though.

18. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

How reasonable is the space inside? I've seen one's being hauled nowadays that are absolutely HUGE-

Also, do you allow, say the kids to be in there while your driving?

19. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Mines not too bad. It has a queen bed over the cab that I can sit up in without hitting my head. It has a table and a fridge and stove and all that. It has a place for a bathroom buts a closet right now. Its an 8.5' version so it ends right at the bumper. I wnated that length so I could still tow a heavy load.

20. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Sounds like just the ticket for me. Wonder where I can get one used. I dont really even need the "stove" or toilet- Unncessary luxuries!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Besides, I duno where you dump the toilet stuff... *eep*.