Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pop up towing question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wraenking, May 17, 2006.

1. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

anyone ever do a [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]spring-over-axle conversion on a pop up? i really would like to use the blazer instead of my work van this year.

boss doesnt realize that i ask him to use my van every cause my truck is "broken"

im just confused if that i simply flip the axle the camber would be way off.

thanks
    [/FONT]

2. FWP

FWP CRS

I did mine, it was simple. Also put bigger tires/ wheels on it. No problem towing. I'm not sure what you mean about "camber" but on mine there isn't any.

3. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

when you flip the axle, wont the inside of the tires wear faster?

what size wheels and tires did you go with?

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

My dad did it on his 19 ft camper (not a pop up).

As far as the loaded camber question.

Some trailer axles are "pre bent" so that when loaded they will sit dead flat. Camp trailers are usuallly within a specific weight range per model (other than gear and water there isn't much to load in them). Again this is only on some and not all.

If you have a square axle put it to spring over but don't flip the axle, just drill a new center pin hole. If it is a round axle weld on a new pearch.

5. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

ok, sounds good. thanks guys

6. FWP

FWP CRS

Mine's a small 950 lb GVW popup, used to be 5.70-8 are now 5.30-12. No rub on the wheelwells, even going down the long bumpy dirt roads.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

"lifted" campers...

I know a few guys with small tag-a long Scottie type trailers they lifted to match the tow vehicles hitch height,and for better looks..one guy has a '63 Ford F-250 4x4 with 36's on it,and his trailer has matching tires and rims..he found by swapping in different bearings,a 2wd 8 lug front brake rotor was adaptable to his original trailer axle..it looks neat with big tires ,and that high off the ground!..he used custom leaf springs with 2" blocks,and had to trim the fenderwells a bit to clear the big tires..regular 235/16's would have fit with no cutting..he says its a bit squirrely at 70 mph,but he rarely goes that fast anyway,his truck is geared pretty low..

Others I've seen used bigger tires by making longer spring mounts and shackles,to lower them from the frame more..or they use custom springs and blocks..

Many camping trailers and utility trailers use 4 bolt hubs with a 4" bolt pattern..13" Chevy Vega rims and many imports used the same pattern,so its a simple way to upgrade to bigger tires..also some heavier duty axles used 5 lugs with a 4-1/2" bolt pattern,many older Dodge and Ford cars used that pattern,and their rims bolt right on..

I have a trailer with 5 on 5-1/2" pattern hubs,that Ford 1/2 ton pickup rims fit perfect on--it has spoked rims with 235/15 tires on it now!.:D ..
    ...car haulers and other larger trailers have 6 lug 6-1/2" bolt pattern that is the same pattern as stock 1/2 ton GM trucks like K5's and K10's..its nice to have the same rims on the trailer as the tow vehicle,then you'll always have the "right" spare with you!..:crazy:

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

6 on 5.5
    8 on 6.5