Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Poping noise?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by atvthumper, Apr 29, 2004.

1. atvthumper

atvthumper Registered Member

Hello I am a newbie so bare with me.. Recently bought a 88 Fullsize blazer.. After getting home with it we noticed a severe poping noise while we were pulling a trailer.. Now it seems to do it whenever it feels fit to do so.. First we thought it may be the U-joints so we replaced them.. Then we thought the back brakes but they look fine.. It mainly does it when turning or going into a curve.. We then though oh no maybe the rearend.. So we had a mechanic friend drive it and he said it sounded like the rear end.. However what we dont understand is that it doesnt do it all the time.. Just whenever it wants to.. You guys think its in the rearend or something else? Also I want to mention that we noticed that the passenger side rear leaf spring has a broke leaf in it could this be causing the poping sound.. It sounds like it is coming from the rear.. Just dont know much about rearends and need a little help from the pros here.. Thanks guys!

2. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

possibly that spring, is there one of those funky old lockers that kinda rachet? would like to hear it. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. atvthumper

atvthumper Registered Member

havent had the cover off the rear end yet to see what it looks like in there.. Going to try to do it this weekend if I have time.. Could it be this gov-lok thing I keep seeing posted everywhere?

4. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

For what it will cost you for some 90wt and a little perma sealer, pull that cover off and see what is going on in the rearend. You don't want that sum bitch coming apart going down the highway!!

5. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am going with Uncle Matty, and your mechanic on this one too. It sounds like a locker differential going bad.

6. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    pull that cover off and see what is going on in the rearend. You don't want that sum bitch coming apart going down the highway!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep! I had a popping noise coming from the back. I knew something was going out inside the axle so I never took it on the highway or went over 30. About 2 weeks later on my way home I was a block away from my house and the wheel and axle shaft seperated from my truck. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Damn C-clip. Not a fun feeling at all. Luckily it was midnight and no one was around to see my misfortune and no one was hurt. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Now I get to toss in my 14BFF. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    In your case I would replace the spring pack that is broken and see if you still hear that noise. Also, as already suggested, pull the diff cover and look for metal shavings.

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    it mainly does it when turning or going into a curve.

[/ QUOTE ]

You my friend , have a Gov Loc it sounds like. When they make noise like that when they go bad. When it does it often there are already pieces of the friction plates floating around. It will eventually break like Spearchucker's and mine did if you don't fix it ( expensive and will do it again ) or replace the axle (easiest). /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

The Auburn limited-slip in my old 12 bolt would pop incessantly once it got warm. Auburn told me that it was normal operation. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Like Poohbair suggested, pop the cover off and take a look. Snap a few pics and post them here and we'll be able to help. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif