Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Popped Drag Link!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Batmanjr, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I was going out tonight to save a friend who got stuck and I hit a couple of deep Divits made by tanks... Anyways, my Draglink popped and now my steering wheel is crooked, so How do I keep this from happening? I know how to fix it, but How do I keep it from doing it again??? Thanks! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Check around the steering box for some of those pesky and infamous GM frame cracks. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif If both of the clamps on the drag link are tight, it can't change in length, so something else had to give somewhere.

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Not to steal the thread (actually trying to help). Has anyone used a Rock Rod as a drag link? I would (as suggested) check the frame and steering box, but if all else fails maybe you can buy a real short rock rod and use it as a drag link......(thinking out loud).

4. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

No it was definately the drag link, I painted it before put it uder the truck and I can see where the paint is missing! It definatly popped there.. Need a new sleeve, I think 410 at Autozone! Anyways, will have too tighten this one down extra tight and hopefully it won't happen again!

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Whew! That's freakin' scary! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Was the clamp loose or are the threads rusted off?

6. Robbie6987

Robbie6987 1/2 ton status

Hey i have the same prob hit a rut with 1 tire and it did the same thing this weekend wasnt the frame, damn tie rod tweaked a little.
    What were you drivin the diesel?