Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Popping and Tinking Sounds?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Wraparound, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Wraparound

Wraparound Registered Member

My 87 GMC makes these loud popping and tinking noises from under the front end when going around corners and up small slopes at an angle. Apperently it happens whenever the weight of the truck shifts from side to side.

I replaced the ball joints on one side due to some play associated with the sounds. However more of the sounds have begun to show up. No signs of wear or excessive play in any joints.

What do you guys think?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Loose steering box bolts or a cracked frame behind the box...

Rene

3. Wraparound

Wraparound Registered Member

Okay, So I just found an inch and a half long crack bisecting the lower rear mounting bolt hole for the steering box.

What now?
    :(

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well first of all, don't feel bad. It's a very common problem on these truck and there are repair kits available.

Off Road Design sells a weld in repair kit that is quite effective and will put your frame back to good again. You'll need to remove the steering box, grind a 'v' along the crack and weld it up first though. Once that is done the weld in repair kit goes on. It must be done exactly as the instructions say as far as what gets welded and what doesn't to prevent more cracking.

Secondly there is also a bolt in steering brace that triangulates that part of the frame and also helps prevent further frame damage. I currently run both kits on my truck, because I also had a crack or two behind my steering box. It's peace of mind, I have seen steering boxes rip right off the frame when it gets bad enough.

Here is the link...

http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/steeringkit.htm

Bolt in brace:

[​IMG]

Weld in kit:

[​IMG]

Hope that helps.

Rene