Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Popping noise-hesitation when driving.. 89 Blazer -stock tbi.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rocko, Jul 26, 2004.

1. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

When driving, first started up, it get's a hesitation, feels like something is holding the truck back. Then when trying to accelerate, I hear a popping noise from the engine compartment.
    I'm wondering if I'm getting a clogged cat or clogged fuel injectors? anyone experience this before?
    This is my daily driver.. and I need to pinpoint this before I spend money on repairs...
    Thanks in advance..

2. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

a popping like a backfire? mine did this when it had a bent valve on the right side. when i would stomp on it, all the fuel would hit the hot gasses in the pipe and explode. Other people had other reasons for hearing this, but this is mine.

3. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Mine did that under accelleration/load....Plug wires /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Scan for trouble codes before you start throwing parts at it.
    If it only has problems after startup when cold it may be the Coolant Temp sensor telling the ECM the engine is warmer than it acually is. So it feeds a fuel curve for a warmed up engine. Which is a lot leaner than fuel needed to run a cold engine.

5. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Good replies everyone... I was leaning towards plug wires and a temp sensor...
    My engine light comes on only after veh has been driven for about 20 minutes... or warmed up.

Who is able to scan the trouble codes.. I don't have aldl..
    Could autozone or advanced auto be able to tell me what the problem is?

6. cuervo

cuervo Wears Boob Goggles! Premium Member

The check engine light comes on?

If that is the case then you just need to ground out the A and B terminals of the diagnosis plug that is under the dash. My local Advance Auto had a little key you could use to do this with and they gave it to me for free.

Put the key in the port and then turn on the ignition but don't start the truck. It will blink once then twice and will do this three times to tell you it is in diagnosis mode. After it does that it will then blink the error code. So, if it blinks 3 times fast and then 4 times fast you have an error code of 43. You'll need a Hayes or similar type manual to find out what the code means. Ths is how my 87 works so I believe the 89s are the same.

Hope this helps.

7. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Cool.. thanks Cuervo... and again to all that replied..

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Paperclip or piece of wire does the same thing. Not saying the key is a bad idea, just that you don't need to go to the store to pull codes if you don't want to.