Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

popping noise in the rear driveshaft

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlueOx, Aug 8, 2000.

1. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

The only lift I have on my K5 is a set of 3" blocks in the rear,just to level it out. Even if i put new u-joints in the driveshaft i still hear a metalic poppind sound coming from rear. Its like the drive shaft is binding of something.
    The u-joints are good though. Anyone got any ideas?

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Is this when you put it into any gear? If so, have a buddy look at it from the side when you put it in gear and see if if the yokes do bind. If it is when you apply throttle it may be your drive line angle is messed up just a bit. You can put shims on the spring pads or if your a welder reweld pads in the angle. the latter is way to complicated. you have to tear the axle down to do it. These are problems I had on mine. I have a 14bolt on mine with stainlessdisks and relocated pads.

3. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Forgot to explain something. Your blocks could be causing a small axle wrap under throttle so that can be the grind/pop sound you hear. The only other things I can think of are, if you have this condition paired up with improper pinion backlash. This can condition alone without lift blocks wont make a loud pop sound. You can feel the shaft spin till postitivley locks into a gear tooth. You shift to drive..*schunk*. then your in gear. Really take a good look at your yokes.