Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Popping noise when I let off the gas

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazerGuy, Dec 23, 2000.

1. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

When I step on it to above 2500+ RPM and then let off I hear a pop noise through the exhaust, but not a backfire, just a pop. Also does it when I gradually(sp?) raise the RPM to 2500+ and then let off it pops. What could be causing this?

[​IMG]

2. zrobbinsk5

zrobbinsk5 Registered Member

I had the same thing. Look at your muffler right where the front pipe goes into the muffler. I had a small leak there.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My Jimmy used to do this all the time, it was almost embarassing. It turned out to be the mixture on the carb needed to be set. Its the unburnt gases in your exhaust burning.
    I had someone set my idle mixture screws properly and now it doesn't pop through the exhaust anymore.

Rene

[​IMG]

4. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I have a clank when I let off the gas, mine only does it once untill I stop and start off again. I think something is shifting out of position, but I have looked and looked and looked, and can't find anything.

89 K5 Silverado
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com>http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com</A>

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

My blazer used to rumble all of a sudden when I'd let off the gas. I'd get a few good pops. Midas said they be glad to fix for a couple hundred bucks. Went across the alley to a greasy grungy little shop. Was telling the guy there about it. He said to get my blazer out of Midas and he could fix it for less than a dollar. The vacuum line to the anti kick back was dry and cracked. Just a thought.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

6. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    Mudfrog.....ever check the converter bolts?

7. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

mud frog, it could also be something like the t-case shifting. Make sure its bolted down. Mine wasn't...

90K5