Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Popping noise when in 4wheel... comin from the front end.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AINT_STUCK, May 15, 2006.

1. AINT_STUCK

AINT_STUCK Registered Member

I'm fairly new to a Four-Wheel drive set up. So here goes... When i put my 76' k5 in four wheel i'm gettin a poping noise coming from the front end axle. I know the left side locked, but the right side is wierd. How does the manual locking system work? i also have trouble locking and unlocking and getting it out of four wheel. Can i leave one side locked and the other free? A buddy told me that the noise is coming from the hubbs not being completely locked.. is this the "poppin" noise? What is a remedy for some of these problems?

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Both hubs should be locked or unlocked at the same time. I would take the hubs out and give them a look over. One could be broken, and causing the noise. If you can't turn them by hand they prolly are pretty nasty inside anyway. If they look mechanically sound then clean them up throw a very light coat of grease on the splines, and reassemble.

3. darenofears

darenofears Registered Member

where

where were you driving when it was popping

4. AINT_STUCK

yes, its while i am in motion. The faster i go the more it clicks. It's not as bad when i get on the brakes or gas. It's worse when it's rolling down a hill or coasting. I accidently left it in four wheel leavin a party the other night. I soon pulled over and got it out of four wheel.

5. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Does it do it more when you're turning the wheels? I had this happen in my old '79 and ignored it until 1 day "POP!!!" and no 4wd. I blew an axle u-joint out and the clicking sound was it warning me it was hating life.

Check into that, or a hublock could be stripped out too..

Mike

6. darenofears

darenofears Registered Member

when

does it do it on dirt and mud or what

or is it on dry pavement

7. AINT_STUCK

it's on anything that will make the front wheels turn... i'll pull the hubs apart tom and get back to yall... THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO!!!

8. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Mine also pops. But only when in 4lo(never used 4hi so i dunno) but only times i hear it is when i am turning while in 4lo or going through mud and 1 tire is spinning.

You say check axle ujoints....what do i check for? Im only semi familiar with driveshaft joints...

9. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

We just went through this on our 76 k-10. Sounded like the front axle, GM dealership said front axle or driveshaft, we tore apart the whole front axle to find nothing. Gues what, transfer case. np203. I took the back plate off, found needle bearings in the bottom and the chain was slipping. There in't an indication the chain is slipping. No signs, only noise. Check for slop is my only idea.

Ours made the noise everytime in 4wd, mainly in 4lo. Swapped out the transfer, and now no noise!

10. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

My guess would be your u-joint. especially if its happening while youre turning. Check it out and make sure it isn't loose or sloppy, make sure the caps are still on or that you haven't lost a clip and had a cap slide part way off.

11. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Definately U Joint. Ask me how I know.

John

12. AINT_STUCK

I really hope it is... how do you know man?? I'm curious. Today i drove in circles in 4 wheel low, in the yard and once it went" tick tick tick tick, bagan a turn, TickTick TIck TICK TICK TICK, PING!, tick tick tick. I thought something broke... nope it still just ticked a lil bit. The front u joints APPEAR to be rock solid. Does this new info reveal any answers for me???

13. 86Cucvbeater

86Cucvbeater 1/2 ton status

My front end has made clicking or creaking noises before once for a busted stub shaft(that was pretty obvious) and just this past weekend for the hub bearings. I ignored the noise and both hub bearing exploded going down the trail causing my tire to just about fall off. Made it kinda hard to turn. :haha: Luckily this happened on the trail. I'd check the bearings if u havnt been in there in a while.

14. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Same was goin' on with my truck a couple of years ago. U joints LOOKED ok, but once I went to tear into it, it was trashed.

John

15. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

sometimes the cap will still be there but you may have destroyed some of the needle bearings inside. best way to do it is to pull it apart and check. you will end up going through the hub and everything else anyways so you can check it all as you go. if you find the problem before you get to the u-joint then your laughing.