Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Popping open my 208, any pointers?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txbartman, Apr 10, 2002.

1. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I have to get that 208 leak fixed this weekend. I plan to drop the 208, pop it open, clean the halves and reseal them, clean the adapter and then reseal everything back up to the tranny (700). I have never tackled a tcase before. Anyone have any pointers for me? Anyone in the Plano TX area interested in helping and/or supervising?

2. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

I just rebuilt mine. Just take your time and remember where things went.. It was pretty straight forward and if you are just resealing the case it should be no problem at all. Get the Haynes manual, they have a great write-up on rebuilding the t-case....

3. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Don't get scared when 120 roller bearings go everywhere. Just use grease to stick them back in!!!!!!!!!! - Doug

4. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

If your are leaving the adapter on the tranny and unbolting the t-case from the adapter, you may want some help getting it back in...The felt gasket that seals between the t-case and adapter tears very easily...I used gasket maker to hold the felt gasket on then used my knee to rotate the t-case to line up the bolt holes...Also, pry the halves apart on the bolt tabs, not the mating surfaces where the gasket is, or you may nick the case good and will NEVER seal correctly...Not to bad though...Also, clean off the magnet that is by the drain hole while you are in there...it gets kinda nasty...

Chris

5. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

Did mine about 6 months ago.
    If you need any help give me a shout.
    PM me and I'll get back with you.

6. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

I resealed my halves without dropping whole transfer case. Just remove driveshaft, brace bolts, and unbolt the halves, clean add new silicone bead and reasemble the way it came off. Unless your redoing the whole thing.

Tom

7. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

I just replaced the entire center section on mine, used Rtv sealant on the adapter/case no gaskets of anykind and its holding without any leaks. I didn't "pry the casings apart used a rubber mallet and just tapped on the them until they separated. If you remove everything from the back of the case moving forward, the bearings will stay put! Good luck

Rating....2 six pack, Saturday job

White Knight

(Christian/redneck/republican) 3 of the best things in life

8. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Yeah and dont let the magnet win....lol

9. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

How many miles are on your transfer case if its allot replace the shift fork pads mine just wiped a shift fork out .