Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Popping out dents

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by hi pinion, Aug 20, 2004.

1. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

I have a dent on one of my cars actually,not too big,how hard is it to pop it out????? Is there a way if its not too bad to just pop it out??? Oh, and what about these companys out there that do this paintless dent removal, has anyone used them before??? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

ive never used paintless dent removal, but the best way to pop it out without paint would be to get good access to the back side and gently tapping it out with a dolley or a hunk of metal on the other side.

3. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

and if the dent is big enough, you can use one of the big suction cups with the handle to pop it out also, ive done that on my dodge after hitting a tree.

dry ice is supposed to work also. rub the area down with the ice and its supposed to pop back into shape.

but if the metal is creased, its body work time.

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I bought one of those kits-

It takes a lot of time, patience and practice before those kits are effective.

Basically, your massaging the metal back into shape. As long as the paint isnt cracked, you can do it. You start from the outer areas, and try to move the tool across the surface, gently pushing until the dent is gone.

This is really only effective on dents that arent creases- sharp creases, or dents on particuarly thick metal (like pickup truck bedsides) will probably require more serious efforts.

5. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    dry ice is supposed to work also. rub the area down with the ice and its supposed to pop back into shape.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bawhahahaha

I hear that all the time. Don't feel bad I used to think that before I got into the business.

Where is the dent and what kind of car?

Michael
    CoOwner: Performance Paintless Inc.
    Mustang, Okla
    Hail damage, door dings, and minor dent repair

6. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

your probably going to have to shrink the metal in the area too. i've heated up the area and quench it down with ice wraped in a cold wet towel. worked for my 69 rear quarter pannel. you can also use a pin point hammer. it's kinda difficult to know what you are up to without looking at it.

my 2centavos...

ARQ.

7. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

hye give me a call is the car at the new house? ill come take a look at it i took autobody in HS