Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

popping out of 4 high

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JayHornyak, Jan 29, 2003.

1. JayHornyak

JayHornyak Registered Member

Hey has anyone else had this problem? After I lifted my blazer, (4"). I lowered my tranfer case about one inch to reduce drivline vibrations. Now ot pops out of 4 high I adjusted the linkage once but it is not cutting it any sugestions. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

just keep trying on the linkage, i know i had to do mine 2 or three times. body mounts, motor mounts and the tranny mount will all affect it too.

3. sageman

sageman Registered Member

Floor board interference?

4. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

What T-case do you have? I have an NP208 and had to adjust it while the t-case was in the N position while someone held it there for me.
    Tried adjusting it from 4hi but it didn't work. I had that same exact problem though and now it's gone /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.
    Good luck!

5. new2k5

new2k5 1/2 ton status

it could be your forks are goin bad. thats what mine does all the time. i have an ingenius but very technical fix for this. bungee cords hooked toboth seat supports then to the shifter /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif i am goin to replace the t case soon so thisd isn't a permanent fix but it works /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. MilpitasK5

I hear there is a rebuild kit for that problem. Supposedly it can be done while the t-case is still on your truck /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif.

Anyone got feed on that??

7. new2k5

new2k5 1/2 ton status

from what i have been told by a couple mechanics is you have to split the case and the parts are usually back ordered since it is a common problem at least with the 208's its easier and cheaper to get a used t case

8. MilpitasK5

OOPs I edited my post b/c after you mentioned 208, I realized that I stated my what Tranny I had in my original post!! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

9. JayHornyak

Thanks for the advice I will try adjusting it while it is nuetral. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

10. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

My NP241 does too. But, before I adjust the linkage, I am planning to put the transfer case back to the stock position and use 6 degree shims. I originally lifted it 4" with blocks in the rear, and it popped out when "rompin'".

11. JayHornyak

I tried that for awhile after I bought a high anlgle drivlin rear drive shaft but it stiil vibrated too badly so I redroped the case. I just pops out don't have to be romping just moving.

12. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Yeah, linkage! My pops got under the truck and manually shifted in to different gears and I checked them with the shifter inside. After loosening it and re-adjusting it it hasn't done that since! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. ford_assassin

ford_assassin 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    it could be your forks are goin bad. thats what mine does all the time. i have an ingenius but very technical fix for this. bungee cords hooked toboth seat supports then to the shifter /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif i am goin to replace the t case soon so thisd isn't a permanent fix but it works /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like what mine is doing right now. Except mine does it in 2Hi.

I was hoping someone could tell me what the problem was. Here's the link to my post:

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=blazer4x4&Number=896794&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

14. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Pull off the boot and look at the notches in the floor plate and see if they are hitting the shift lever before the t'case is fully engaged. Body flex can cause the plate to hit shift lever and knock it out of gear. My NP 241 did this after my 1" body lift, problem solved with a die grinder.

15. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

seems like ppl have problems with shifting T-case on trucks that have been modified, like T case dropped or body lifted, i havent yet been in a stock truck thats had any T-case shift problem, although i have yet to try out the 83 K20, i will once i get original carb back on when i get a chance to rebuild it in near future. my stepdads 82 k10 with original 208 and stock body height has no isues with shifting, and i cant think of any around here that have/do

my guess would be clearance isue with shifter stick to body tranny tunnel pan

16. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

I have an 84 that has been poping out of both 4 hi into 2 or 4 lo into neutral for about a year or so. No body lift, haven't touched the linkage, it's all tight, I can't figure it out? I now have a susp. lift and it doesn't do it as often but still on occasion. I am wondering if it needs rebuilt but I don't really wnat to find out either in the same respect!!

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Check your fluid level.

18. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Could be interference or the linkage. I have a 241 and it was popping out of 4hi. It was just the linkage and I had it rebuilt today. Rebuilt it mainly because it wouldn't hardly hold any fluid. Shifts great and doesn't leak a drop now.