Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

popping out of 4wd

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Fry, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

After a few 4x trips with my 75 I have come to the notice that my truck is hard to put into 4 wheel drive and sometimes pops out. I am not sure if the driveshaft is still spinning resulting in a hub problem but since they are new then I doubt that it is a problem in the front end.
    For example the other day I was in 4lo (since my truck is so under geared it can't spin in 4hi /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif ) driving through a mud hole and got most of the way through when only the rear wheels started to spin.
    When I try to put it in or take it out of 4lo I have to yank on the shifter with both hands sometimes and sometimes it goes easy.
    I drained Transfercase (NP203) after I bought the truck a few months ago and it had gear oil in it which I replaced with 10w30.
    Is this something normal if not what do you guys think it could be inside the TC? Could the gear oil ****ed something up? Do you think my TC is about to take a dump or is it just going out slowly?
    Thanks for the help

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Yes it is normal.. You need to adjust the linkage.. It is really hard to explain how to do it.. The best thing to do is to get a haynes manual.. It explains how to do it.. You have to use a nail to line up the linkage at the shifter. Then make sure both adjusters at the T-case are straight up and down.. Hope this helps a little...

3. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I thought Tcases were sposed to have 80w-90w oil???? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

dude! the chain wouldnt be proporly lubricated, resulting in somthing bad happening, i know someone who put 80-90w in a NP208 in a chevy, and they thought that was the right lube and i couldnt talk them into putting atf in it, i havent seen that truck drive around anymore. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Someone filled my 241 with gear oil and when I bought it I could smell it when I took out the plug, it leaks and was low so I filled it the rest of the way with ATF. I don't think it makes a huge difference with the part time cases like mine but with a 203 full time I would go with what ever is supposed to be in there with that chain always running. my 2cents

6. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

well thats a relief, the gear oil that was in there smelled rancid like cat piss so I assumed it was old. I will pick up a manual and adjust the linkage.
    BTW I'm not sure if I said this but mine is also converted to part time.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I wouldn't worry about the cases, it doesn't hurt them to have the wrong lube in them. A 205 can have either gear oil or tranny fluid without hurting it...I'm sure the others are the same. I have seen 465/208 combos where the tailshaft seal goes out and they get a mixture of both, and even that seems to work fine. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The NP 203 linkage is really stupid IMO, even more stupid than the 208. Once you adjust that correctly it's a good case though.

8. tucsonkfive

tucsonkfive 1/2 ton status

Had the exact same problem with my 203. Put the right fluid in and adjusted the linkage, no more issues. Shifts in and out nice and smooth. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

9. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

this is really good news it had me pretty concerned. I have to check and see if I can get a manual today. Thanks for the help I pretty relieved

10. Curtis2kul

Curtis2kul Registered Member

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
    i put gear oil in myn when i was servicing my truck, i didnt think anything about it. Everything seems to be fine, but remember that i dont have it in 4wd often. Hopefully nothing will happen
    /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

11. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

203's are not terribly excited about pumping gear oil when it's cold, I'd run the specified oil.
    If you can't get the shifter to work, our doubler twin stick works really well on a 203 by itself. One stick for Hi N LO and one for engaging the diff.

12. atlantak-5er

atlantak-5er 1/2 ton status

I have the shifter steve at ORD is talking about, I would definately reccommend it. It took care of all of my shifting problems. I tried adjusting the linkage but the detents just wear out over time, and I could never get it right.

13. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

The reason your suppose to put 10w-30 in it is because the 203 has a plastic fin type oil pump that sends oil to lube the rear of the case. The gear oil might be too thick to pump, resulting in broken pump fins and/or unlubricated rear shaft.

I hope that adjusting the linkage fixes your problem. If not, I would guess that the bull gears (they lock the diff up) are worn out. Happend to my 203 because the previous owner always tried to engage it into "loc" while the tires were spinning. It tears the tops of the teeth off of the gears and then they just don't engage enough to hold together when power is applied.

14. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem after I installed my lift kit. Everytime I would get on it in 4WD it would pop out. I adjusted the linkage from the shifter to the tranny, no problems since, 10 min fix!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif