Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

popping sound when steering...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chevyfumes, Jun 3, 2003.

1. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

When pulling in to and out of the garage at low speeds of course something pops up front, it has to do with steering sounds like the drivers side also....what do you guys think, it's a 44 stock except for new springs and HD shackles..... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

check out the balljoints and tie rod ends... if they're dry and binding up that could be a cause... also check to make sure everything that locates the axle is tight...

3. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

At first glance I thought it said "pooping sound when steering" I was like "riiiiiiight" /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. FWP

FWP CRS

Couple of ideas- Frame crack at steering box, loose frame rivets, loose body mounts. Have someone turn the wheel back and forth and see if you can isolate it. Sometimes WD40 works to isolate the noisy area. I had a similar situation, found some rivets bad, drilled em out and put in G8 bolts....HTH

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

check the frame for cracks or a loose steering box

6. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

It's the beer can between your legs /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Your crunching the can when you turn... Mine makes the same sound /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

yeah its the frame flexing around.

8. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Mine does it too. It also does it when I hit bumps. I can feel it in the floor boards and hear it. Everything checks out tight and I can't find any cracks in the frame.

9. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Mine does it too. It also does it when I hit bumps. I can feel it in the floor boards and hear it. Everything checks out tight and I can't find any cracks in the frame.

[/ QUOTE ]

mebbe theyve got a bent rear 10bolt too? LOL

10. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    It's the beer can between your legs /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Your crunching the can when you turn... Mine makes the same sound /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    you may be right /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

make sure your draglink is lubed properly. mine makes the same POP! when i neglect it.

13. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

everything looks to be alright, I think it is just neglect from not lubing ,I ran out and need to get some more grease .... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Mine is exactly the same way. Feel it in the floorboard, hear it and can't find anything at all loose. Was under there for 30 minutes the other day. It happens when I stomp on the gas and let off too. Like when the front end of the truck picks up and lets down. Not all the time but yeah. Usually when turning to the left not really to the right. I was thinking cracked frame but can't find anything.

15. BigBluOx

BigBluOx 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    At first glance I thought it said "pooping sound when steering" I was like "riiiiiiight" /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Jon /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

16. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Mine is the springs moving in the stack.

Squirt some WD on the pack and I bet you it will go away /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I actually put my hand around the pack when I was trying to figure mine out - one of the middle springs moves very slightly. I thought 'oh shite' and tightened the u-bolts more but that didn't help. WD40 did. Seems to get worse when grimy and wet like in the rain. If it has been dry for awhile and no WD the pack doesn't move - probably rusted/stuck.

17. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> A popping noise showed up in mine after the crossover steering went in, turns out the front crossmember is loose so it's shifting at the rivets when I steer and spreading the frame. </font>

18. 2Dogs

[ QUOTE ]
    <font color="green"> A popping noise showed up in mine after the crossover steering went in, turns out the front crossmember is loose so it's shifting at the rivets when I steer and spreading the frame. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good one!!! Did it take you long to find?

And finding these snap-crackle-pops is a 2 person job.

19. 2Dogs

WELLLLLLL....??

Any updates?

20. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> It didn't take long once a fellow club member (ds350) came over so one of us could turn the wheels while the other looked around for it. There's no bumper on the truck right now either, I imagine that when I put the bumper on the noise will reduce signficantly, then when I get the time I'll grind the rivets out and put bolts in. </font>