Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

popping sound when turning!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by woods, Sep 7, 2004.

1. woods

woods Registered Member

I just put a rough country 4 susp lift, all spring lift,all new shocks, all new steering stabilizier. When you turn the steering wheel 1/4 a turn left or right it will make a dull pop noise. I rechecked all the bolts on the susp all tight, and there isnt any sign of anything moving(i.e. no shining spots around the bolts/washers)

So I had my friend turn the steering wheel back and forth to make it pop.

Checked the drag linkage couldnt feel it there
    checked the steering box couldnt feel it there
    checked the steering shaft to the steering wheel not there
    checked the tie rod not there

the closest we could locate where the pop was coming from was when we put our head between the 2 frame rails and below the radiator, also I did a quick check and didnt see any sign of the frame around the steering box to be cracked, but I didnt think to put my hand on the frame, maybe ill do it later

any ideas on what to check?

thanks,
    woods

2. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

does it 'pop, pop, pop' while turningand while its rolling?? Is so, bearings.

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Ball jonts?

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Either the frame is cracked or the crossmember is tweaking (that's rather normal, I'm replacing my crossmember rivets with bolts to prevent this soon).

If you don't have the steering brace (bolt on) GET IT NOW. I have two for sale that I have left, ORD sells them, but whatever you do, GET ONE ON THERE!!

5. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I have this same prob??? I also have a steering box brace. The steering is fine but when I turn left there is a subtle pop only at a certain point in the turn. I have not been able to figure it out also /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. ahx

ahx Registered Member

i had this problem and it turned out to be the plastic bushing type things in between the leaf springs. the springs would actually rub each other when the wheel was turned. Dont ask me why or how. I had to get new spring shackles to keep them tight.

7. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Can you make the same pop noise if you come to a hard stop?

8. stallion85

Are you talking about the little plastic piece that goes between the perch and springs?

9. woods

woods Registered Member

js4x4
    if I turn it slow it will kinda of grind more then pop, at a dead stop

84_Chevy_K10
    its a 1988 k5 blazer the biggest tires on it are 31's for the history of the truck

heavy4x4
    tommorrow when I head to work ill do an oh [censored] stop and see if it pops

also when I had the truck jacked up eariler that day I couldnt make my tires move at all up and down(12 o'clock and 6 o'clock) when looking at the tire, I would grab the top and bottom of the tires and shake the whole truck trying to get the ball joints to flex or pop, if I jack the front axle up so theres no weight on the ball joints except the weight of the tires and rims, it will still pop while turning left or right at different spots while turning

10. ahx

ahx Registered Member

i can almost bet it's your spings rubbing. thats the exact sounding problem i had. have someone move the wheel back and forth and watch the springs.

11. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

did it do it before you put the lift on?
    if so i'd say ball joints

12. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

I had a popping sound as well. It was coming from the front spring hangers. When I installed my new springs and greaseable bushing set from off-road designs, I noticed that the front spring hangers were worn from the steel bushing insert. Apparently, the previous owner drove around with loose bolts that created movement especially while turning that created pockets in the metal that cause a popping sound. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

13. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

My vote is for the spring bushings. I had the same problem with a set of greasable bushings that would slide from side to side when turning due to a broken bushing.

14. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

With standard push pull steering alot of force gets placed on the drivers side front spring bushing. If you have it to tight it may be the insert popping back and forth in there as the spring moves.

The push pull steering, especially while stopped, tries to move the whole axle assmebly forward and backward while it tries to steer the tires. The steering is moving the axle and the axle is connected to the spring so it is also trying to move the spring. That is my vote.

Harley

15. stallion85

I have x over and mine does exactly the same thing /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I think I will check the springs out. Glad you posted this thread up /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

I agree. If everythings tight, the frame is cracked.
    It cured the popping on my truck after fixing it.

17. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I also have a popping or clunking sound sometimes when I stop fast or take off fast. Sounds like it comes from near the tcase but it could be the spring bushings I guess. I have the ORD greasable ones too. What are they supposed to be torqued to??? I think I did them to 50 ft/lbs

18. woods

woods Registered Member

thanks for all the input guys, but it was a very simple fix, the front U-bolts weren't tight enough cranked them down alittle more and no more popping when turning

19. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

My truck does this, it's the front spring eye bushings.

20. ncbloodhound

ncbloodhound 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    My truck does this, it's the front spring eye bushings.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about a loud chirp when turning, kinda like a tire peeling out?