Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Poppy seed eaters

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, May 2, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I don't know how new/old the episode was...but on myth busters they did a drug test (they called it a opiup test or something...I think it's for testing heroin??????) on 2 people on the show. One ate a loaf of poppy seed cake, and the other ate a few poppy seed bagels.
    After 1/2 hour, the guy that ate the cake showed positive on the drug test. (I think it was a heroin test? (sp?) ) and it lasted for 18 hours I think they said.

One scientist guy said that many people lose their jobs, or fail at interviews when they have poppy seed products before they go...since it shows positive (which is a false postive, since it's the poppy seeds making it read positive) on a drug test...

So just a little heads up...I like poppy seed muffins...don't know if anyone else likes poppy seeds...

NOTE: I am bad for repeating words,,,so if this info is slightly wrong, sorry :o

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Opium

3. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

I have heard similar stuff steve ;)

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

That's what I though, but it sounded like the guy said Opiup maybe just an american accent :grin:

5. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

Yup. My uncle LOVES poppy seed bread. And the entire time he was in the Navy he couldn't eat it. He learned after the first time he ate it and tested positive for opiates. Had a hard time getting out of that one, but it was a long time ago. I guess they were a little more understanding back then. I would assume you would have to eat alot of poppy seeds though. Like in poppy bread or, like you said, poppy seed cake.

6. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Actually one burger on poppy seed bun will show positive. Ask me how I know.
    :xmas:

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

opiates! That;'s the word they used!
    I don't know what poppy seed bread tastes like...but I like the muffins and they are good.

8. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Happened to a friend of mine on a tox screen. Absolutely true.

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Drug test== privacy invasion....

I wonder if you scraped all the poppy seeds off and smoked them in a pipe if you'd get off! :confused: :D --"Yes,I'll have 6 loaves of poppy seed bread please--heavy on the seeds! :haha: :haha: :rotfl:

I dont think drug testing does any good--I know several guys who smoke weed and still got by the "drug test" by using some stuff they bought at a health food store (and they have worked at the same place for many years with no problems,they dont steal,rape their co-workers,or commit crimes,etc..)....what about people who have chronic pain due to a disability who use percocets or other prescription drugs??--dont they fail the test??-or do they just never get hired??. :confused: they need jobs too...

.I can see if your driving a company vehicle,climbing ladders,operating heavy machinery,or other dangerous work that a drug test is not an invasion of privacy--but why is it even a janitor or other menial labor job worker is subjected to one,if he/she never uses the drugs at work,or while working,when most of the time they are not working with others,or doing any dangerous work...

Its not a new problem,drugs have been around for years...how did all the "dopers" manage to work,raise kids,buy houses years ago??--and now all of a sudden they are "addicts" and are outcasts that cant get hired,just because they smoke a joint or have a few beers after work on their own time..I guess no employer believes someone can drink,smoke weed,or use pills in moderation on their own time,and be an honest law abiding person all at the same time!.. :frown1:

.I know its possible...many of my high school friends STILL live like they did 25 years ago,and thats their ONLY vice!--other than that,they have never even had a speeding ticket!..Myself,I used to party as much as anyone else!--but now I dont even drink much,other than a binge this past long harsh winter due to depression over family woes and the heavy snows..I dont like being asked to pee in a cup at every job interveiw--I feel its none of their bussiness as long as I do what I was hired to do efficiently--If I come to work drunk,FIRE ME!---..I object to being considered a "user" until proven innocent by their easily manipulated "drug test".....I miss the good old days when we still had a few rights in this country.... we're just a bunch of robots now..:frown1: sigh--now I want a poppy seed bun.. :crazy:

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

It's all because Nancy's "Just say no". It all started back then. I see all these BS commercials on TV blowing the "Dope problem" way out of preportion. I was heavy in the dope world a few years back and no one I knew was out stealling, raping, robing, murdering, ...ect. Everyone I knew had jobs or sold dope. I'm sure there are people out there that do steal too suport thier habbit, but I didn't deal with those kind of people. I always felt if someone would steal for a high, I wouldn't want them in my home seeing what I have. A thief is a theif, and I never have wanted anything too do with those types.

11. diesel4me

I agree!

Not to hijack the poppy seed thread--but I feel the same way--I never stole,robbed,or vandalized anything during my "high" school years,or ever since then,no matter what I smoked or drank!--and neither did the crowd I hung with--in fact,the few who DID got a beating,and were kicked out of our group--we didn't want any trouble with the law,and 95% of the ones who smoke weed dont either!--its the crack cocaine and heroin users that are responsible for nearly all drug related crimes in my area...

You dont see kids who smoke weed robbing conveinience stores or snatching purses-(yes,a few boneheads do,but they usually have other addictions too,and the weed get the blame)-all they want to do is hide out in the woods or some other "safe" place and get high-- most of the guys I know who do it have never been arrested for anything,and intend to keep it that way!..

And I too have kicked a few former "friends" out of my house and yard when I learned they were using heroin-I didn't like the way they looked like they were taking inventory of all our possesions,and one jerk kept trying to get money out of my mother for "odd jobs",or "I'll pay it back"yeah right--GET THE F*** Outta here!( he even asked me if I'd drive him to a methadone clinic,so he could get high for free every day!--I told him to drop dead!) :mad: once they find out you wont help support their habit,they stay away(they BETTER or I will make them wish they did!)... :mad:

Pot is one thing,but I never used any hard drugs--LSD in high school once,that was it for me!--how "high" do you have to get anyway??---all the way to your grave??--I cant see how anyone could DO a job while on that stuff period!...or heroin or cocaine either--anyone who's on that stuff HAS to steal for a living(or sell it!) because there isn't any way they would actually BE ABLE to do and hold a job--at least for very long...

I hate the way they treat potential employees like they are drug addicts until proven otherwise,if your a straight person,you should not be treated like your guilty until proven innocent..the users ruined it for all the folks who dont abuse drugs..now it feels more like nazi germany than america lately when you apply for a job... :frown1: --they used to take your word that you didn't use drugs--now they have the right to take your hair,bodily fluids,and run tests on you--and they have cameras watching you all day too--makes you FEEL like a criminal,even though your NOT...its gone crazy in this country!... :crazy:

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

My involvement was more with meth then anything else. Pretty much the same deal. Seen alot of crackheads (cocaine smokers) get way out of controle. Lost some friends to cocaine (Didn't want too be around them, and didn't want them too know where I lived). Never messesd with heroin or anyone in to it.

13. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

I'm in the process of adopting my 4 year old nephew because my brother and his wife are junkies. Dont give me that crap about dope being harmless. I have friends from my old days who still smoke weed, and they're idiots. If talking like Jeff Spiccoli and working at Wendys while living with your parents at 31 is cool, I guess you could say weed is harmless.

I spent three years on the dark side of dope, and I know first hand how it ruin people. Ruins the user, their family, their friends. Dope is for suckers. I dont mind taking piss tests because it means I wont be working with dopers. What we do in the privacy of our own homes is our business? How bout I stay up all weekend on an amphetamine binge, and come to work Monday, who do I endanger/affect?

14. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

I believe employers drug test their employees mostly because people who are partaking in illicit drugs are a liability and cost companies billions of dollars in lawsuits/worker's comp claims, etc. I work for a lawfirm so I don't have to drug test, but if they wanted me to, I would :)

I gave up most of my bad habits when I got a regular job. It's hard enough for me to be a functional, responsible person when I'm sober all the time ;)

15. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I work in commercial construction and I am glad everyone gets tested. I woould'nt want to be working on a wall 30' in the air with a doper next to me, who can hurt me or anyone else.

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I gave up useing dope a few years ago. The people I sold to either sold themselves or had jobs. For example "Red" was a mechanic at a Ford dealership, "John" was a used car salesman, " Tommy" worked in a factory. These were all honest hard working people who put thier familys first. They paid rent/house payments, utilitys, food, ...ect first. They'd buy a little meth for weekend fun. I sold mostly to dancer at a local strip club. Sure, there are people who phuck up thier lives with dope, but for every one of those, there's 2,3, or more who don't. I'm not trying too defend dope or it's users, just pointing out it's no where near the gov. propaganda would lead you too belive.

17. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

I think you have it backwards. For every 1 person who isn't phucked on drugs, there are more like 50 who are. Where do you think crack babies come from? There are more of them out there than you'd think. While I waited in line to get fingerprinted down at the Child Protection Agency for the adoption process, I counted the number of cracked out wlefare moms. 39 waiting for food stamps, or whatever.

Most, and I mean MOST, people who do it "recreationally" end up quitting after one of two things. A close call with the cops or death, or because ten years later they are junkied out and have to quit because of a jail sentence or health reasons. Out of my group of 30 or so, from highschool until now, 7 are dead, 6 in jail, 5 have kids and still remain phucked up, 6 more are still messed up, and the rest are finally cleaned up, but we all pay a price. I was the lucky one and managed to get on with a fire department and find a good job. The others who made it ain't doing great, but they are clean.

We could argue pro/con forever, and our experiences would keep our opinions very different. My opinion remains that dope is evil. It is insidious and sucks the soul out of people. People who minimize it's effects by saying things like "I know lots of people who only do it a little and they arent killing, etc..." only fool youngsters into thinking a little taste wont hurt. Phuck drugs. ALL drugs.

18. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

from poppy flowers Comes Opium gum, heroin, morphine, codine, and something elce i cant remember.

also cabbage will teat as a falce positive from drug 'sniffers'
    (electronic smellers that can "smell drugs, explosives ect.)

19. diesel4me

good points...

I dont condone drug use,and never said it was harmless!-I too lost more than a few friends to drug addiction,all of my friends who went on to use cocaine or heroin after smoking weed or alcohol wasn't a big enough thrill died young--one had a flat tire on the highway at night while stoned on coke,and was struck and run over by several cars on his way to work( yes,work--he actually had a good job at a boston hotel as a busboy--
    I think his large paycheck helped fuel his appetite for the drug...)--I often wonder if it was an accident,or if he just had enough of his life the way it was,and the flat tire pushed him over the edge,and he walked out into traffic on purpose...another friend snorted some,drank some whiskey and took his heart medication(had a heart murmer),and drowned in his own vomit after he passed out...kinda like Led Zeppelins drummer did.. :frown1: I miss them both!--but they should have known better...

Though I dont think weed is harmless,I do think its unfair that its classified as a narcotic just like the opiate drugs,but in fact it isnt--they just decided to group it in with all the other drugs to simplify the penalties for possesion....its the only drug that the punishment doesn't fit the crime--its a medicinal herb for many people,my friends dad used it during chemotherapy,it was the only thing that stopped him from vomiting,and he tried all the prescription drugs including marinol,only smoking weed worked for him...it was legal for doctors to prescribe until 1937 when it was outlawed,doctors stopped prescribing it because they protested a tax that was put on it..(we did a research paper on weed in high school,in case your wondering how I know all this! :blush: )

.I'm not saying its GOOD for anyone,but if it eases suffering I say they should be able to use it ....its definately not something kids should be using on a daily basis like me and my friends did years ago--and since its illegal,the only place to get it is from the same guy who sells all the other more harmful drugs--and you know where that often leads--but not all of us wanted a "bigger and better" high--I was quite content to stay on the first rung of the drug ladder--I'd seen what the harder drugs do to people...its not pretty..

I dont like the thought of users working with me either--especially if my life is in their hands when working as a team or with dangerous equipment..And the ones I worked with that fudged their drug test and got hired anyway were often slackers,and rode on MY shoulders all day--at the end of the week,I got the same pay as them--but I did all my work AND theirs! :mad: --many customers would ask for me on the phone when the stoner answered the phone,and he'd sit there and laugh at me while I had to fill the order--I complained to my boss,asking her if she just hired him to answer and hand me the phone all day!--she told me to "stop whining"!--and people wonder why I left the working world to try making it at my own shop... :screwy: :surepal:

I smell pot on many kids working at stores--I guess the drug tests are not hard to pass even if you are "positive".(and evidently once they get hired,they dont re-check too often)..Thats why I object to being subjected to them--if they are that easy to get around,then they are worthless.If you refuse to submit to one and object to your privacy being invaded,your automatically disqualified,and are considered a "user".....and in the case of the poppy seeds,eating the wrong bun before your test could lead to a false positive reading,that could have a disasterous effect on your ability to get hired ANYWHERE!... :(

All because of a stupid test that isn't really nessasary....if a person uses drugs while working,its not hard to tell,and most bosses can spot it a mile away and will fire them instantly...nowadays its all about liability,I think they are much more worried about losing MONEY,and money IS everything,after all! ...its true users will be more likely to steal to support their habits,lie,take more sick days,and goof off in genral..but they shouldn't treat everyone like a criminal because of a few bad apples..

This post could go on forever!--but thats my veiw...I liked the US better when we had more rights and less government--we seemed to do pretty good the "old way"...nowadays we seem to lose more rights every day,and nobody seems to care--until they find we have NONE someday,then it will be too late...pretty soon you wont even be able to have a beer in the privacy of your own home within 48 hours of going to work if this keeps up..where do they stop??? :crazy:

20. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

No no no, I'm talking about out of the people that do use dope. I'm talking from my personal experences. I don't know what it's like where you live(ed) but in the places I've live, out of the people that do indulge, there are more responcible social user, then the out of controle thieven bastards. Don't get me wrong, I'm done with that life, but I will be honest about the people I was involved with. I'm still in contact with a few that have given it up too. The who point is not everyone who used robbed, raped, stold, killed, ...ect. That quite a few have jobs and suport familys. Heck, it's like saying everybody who drinks kills kids by drunk driving.