Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

POR - 15 ?????..again.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by riz, Jul 29, 2001.

1. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

What type of POR-15 should I be buying for my Blazer ? How much for what quantity ? Where can I buy it other than direct from them ? Any good deals out there that any of you have gotten on it ?

Thanks !

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Kevin Por-15 is the original. They have other little products that "act" like por-15 but dont offer the same protection as the original. At least this is what the site says. Por-15 is UV sensitvie so if your doing the floors like yall were discussing in the chat room then the original would be fine, as long as the carpet were placed on top. I have no clue what real damage to the por-15, other than it cosmeticly, the sun does. I would get three pints of it. From what I understand you can do the rear section with +/- pint. With three you can do the whole floor + odds and ends. I dont know how long a gallon of it would shelf for.

I would just get it from their site or look up a retailer on the net.

3. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I just received my POR15 stuff in the mail. I ordered the Marine Clean, Metal Ready, and POR15 Gloss Black; all in gallon form. I will let you know how it works out on my replacement floor project.

1987 Jimmy Sierra Classic, Palisades Park, NJ 07650

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I bought a six pack of Por-15 3 silver and 3 black. They are little cans. At first I was thinking the cans were way too small and I didn't have enough to do the job(covering my rockerboxes with the stuff). Anyway the stuff goes on more like a stain than a paint. It is very very penatrating stuff. Hell it's been over a week and I still have some on my hands!!
    I used the silver for the super duper rusty areas and it does put one hell'uv a seal on the old steel. POR says with very rusty metal no prep is needed other than removing dirt and grease. I applied it and the stuff works! POR say too that if it is brand new steel with no rust then the metal ready acid must be used to create the pors that the POR soaks into.
    Oh and sence it is so watery/thin like a stain a little goes a long way!

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

5. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

How are you guys going to applie it? bushed on or sprayed on? How did/does/will the finish look?

I have a buddy that brushed it on and it looked pretty good, but he said it peeled off in sheets. I think he didn't prep it right.

I have a cheep little air brush, I think when the time comes I'm going to use that.

Keep us posted, please.

Twiztid

6. lukerz

lukerz 1/2 ton status

If you spray you have to use a resperator. Por-15 reacts with moisture to dry. If while spraying this gets into your lungs it won't come out. It paints quite nicely. Just use a brush that won't leave bristles. This brush should be disposable too. Won't be good after por-15 dries on it.
    Lukers

83 K10 from 76 K5 & 83 C10
    Th350 Np203 355 CID
    31 X 10.5
    Plan on 2" body lift

7. lukerz

lukerz 1/2 ton status

Go to the site if you have not already link =http://www.por-15.com . Por 15 silver would be used to fill in small holes. Por 15 is good if you prep surfaces. They sell degreaser and metal ready to do that. I have done my frame and all parts so far with it on a ground up restoration and conversion. This stuff is great. The sun will fade por 15 but this does not affect anything but color. I fcolor is a concern then just put chassis black cote over the por 15. This stuff is excellent. If you got questions about this stuff ask away.
    Lukers

83 K10 from 76 K5 &amp; 83 C10
    Th350 Np203 355 CID
    31 X 10.5
    Plan on 2" body lift<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by lukerz on 08/01/01 05:22 AM.</FONT></P>

8. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

Clickable: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.por-15.com>http://www.por-15.com</a>

See Ya,
    Keith

[​IMG] <font color=green>Born to Drive My K5</font color=green> [​IMG]

9. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I used the gloss black POR15 on the underside, in the inner fenders and wheel wells, and under the carpet in the back. I took a wire brush and some 60 grit paper on the power sander and got any crude out.... sprayed the metal-ready (I really like this product... especially if you have rust all ready... leaves a zinc coating that won't affect the POR15). Let it dry and then brushed it on.... Just look out for the drips on the underside and if you get it on your face get it off right away or it won't come off. I took a hand mirror and wet rag under the truck w/ me. (Also in Kev's case I'm not too sure a big ole goober or POR15 in the beard would look to good...[​IMG] LOL... You'd just have to paint your whole beard and be Blackbeard the pirate LOL [​IMG])

I bought mine from the website... it is too bad, POR15 was out at CarCraft a few weeks back and was $5 off plus you saved the shipping charge. Not sure if you are goin Riz, but maybe they will be at Back to the 60's in a few weeks... otherwise I scope it out ya.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</a>

10. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Year One has it. I'm getting it from them because they are local and I won't have to worry about shipping.

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Tread Lightly!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.gmck5.rockcrawler.com>www.gmck5.rockcrawler.com</a>

11. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Try Rum River Service. 612-753-0250.

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

First I've ever heard of problems with it! I used it myself and brushed it on....keeping the stuff wet with that zinc solution or whatever it is was the hardest part.

I used the semi flat black, which is close to the correct color for undercoating, engine bay, etc., and personally, I think it looks great. I brushed it on a frame, and that semi flat even LOOKS tough : )

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

13. lukerz

lukerz 1/2 ton status

Thanks I don't know how to make these clickable.
    Lukers

Th350 Np203 355 CID
    31 X 10.5
    Plan on 2" body lift

14. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

That's my big question; how long will it shelf for? 'Don't mind ordwering extra, just don't want it to harden before I get to use it all.

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!

15. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

They claim 6 mo. Anyone have personal experince?

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Tread Lightly!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.gmck5.rockcrawler.com>www.gmck5.rockcrawler.com</a>

16. lukerz

lukerz 1/2 ton status

If you want to store it put it in the fridge after opening. Make sure you use plastic wrap and place it between the can and the lid. Be careful when you tap the lid on these cans, they will bend and the lid won't seal. I kept some half used por 15 in the fridge over the winter and it was fine. Order those plastic spout things that help you pour the por 15 too. They keep the paint out of the groove. Also NEVER use the paint directly from the can. Pour it into something else and do this sparingly. The paint goes a long way.Hope this helps.
    Lukers

Th350 Np203 355 CID
    31 X 10.5
    Plan on 2" body lift

17. Cusm

Cusm 1/2 ton status

Anyone use the Por-20, or the manifold paint? Just wondering if it had the same benefits as the regular stuff. After looking at their site I think I may Por-15 my interior over using the Herculiner.

Good lord. The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up it's butt.

18. lukerz

lukerz 1/2 ton status

I have some cumin in as we speak. I'll post when I use the stuff.
    Lukers

Th350 Np203 355 CID
    31 X 10.5
    Plan on 2" body lift

19. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Sent you an E-mail. If you need any more info, let me know.

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Since my truck is now going to be a full frame off restoration, I'm doing my frame, bottom of cab, and bottom of new box with it as well. I'm also going to do the floor pans, inner fenders, under the hood, firewall, and inside of the fenders as much as I can. From what I hear this stuff is unbelievable.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles