Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

POR-15 and Bondo???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GRINCH, Apr 9, 2003.

1. GRINCH

GRINCH 1/2 ton status

I know I posted this in the First Gen page but it doesn't get as much view.

Has anyone ever used POR-15 and then applied Bondo over the top after scuffing it a little? I talked with the folks at POR-15 and they suggested using thier POR-PATCH. It's a 2 part epoxy. I have used POR-PATCH in the past and am not very impressed with it.
    I have used POR-15 alot and am very impressed with it but never under bondo.

2. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

I tried to use Bondo over POR-15 when I replaced my rockers, And it did not work at all. I put on the POR-15 let it dry and scuffed it up real good, layed down the bondo to smooth out the weld seam, Let it dry and went to sand it and with one pass of the sand paper by hand off came all the bondo I layed down
    in one big sheet, So then I read the directions and it said to lay down the bondo when the POR-15 is tacky, But I was out of POR so I just ground all of it off and layed the bondo and said screw it /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

3. jhrody

jhrody 1/2 ton status

Bondo is made to stick to raw metal only. On my old Blazer, I used Bondo in a few spots direct over metal (primed over that) and those were the only solid areas left on the truck when I stripped/junked it. About 12 years elapsed and it never fell out.

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    . I have used POR-PATCH in the past and am not very impressed with it

[/ QUOTE ]

There is the POR patch two part epoxy - and then there's the stuff that's just one-part, in the tube, you squeeze out how much you need.

I was just looking at the website www.por15.com and they have a new product called Straightline - it looks to be just what you need. I have not used it.

EDIT: Here is the stuff I am talking about. POR-Patch. Here's the words from the site
    [ QUOTE ]
    POR-PATCH™
    For years our customers have asked us for a thicker version of our world-famous POR-15 ® for filling seams or holes. Here it is! POR PATCH ™ is, quite literally, POR-15 ® in a tube, and like POR-15 ® it dries as hard as a rock, remains flexible, and once dry is totally impervious to fuels and solvents. It's so tough it actually adds strength to weakened metal. And it won't absorb moisture and swell like conventional body fillers. Try it yourself, it's incredible!

Available in Pearl White or Black.

4oz. tube...$10.00 ea.
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]
    This stuff is great - abosolutely great. Love it.
    -- Mike

5. GRINCH

GRINCH 1/2 ton status

My bad I meant POR-PUTTY. I have used POR-PATCH in the tube. It's great for small areas and seams. I did go back and read about putting bondo on when the POR-15 is still tacky/dry to light touch. Still leary though, I hate doing things twice.

I did order a can of the straightline .. Spendy...

Will keep all posted on it's succes/failure. They did said it was designed to go over POR-15.

6. por15-texas

por15-texas Registered Member

POR-PATCH is nothing more the POR-15 with less "carrier" is a very thick POR-15 and is designed to use on seams and small pin holes.

EPOXY PUTTY is the two part product that you mix 50/50 and it drys very hard and is sandable. Use it for larger holes and for bonding metals and such.

If you plan to use Bondo first paint both sides of the rusted area with POR-15 then use body filler or putty as soon as the POR-15 is dry to the touch. If it drys/cures completely the surface is too smooth for Bondo to stick too. Even scuffing it will not help.

POR-15 just released a New product as noted above that should solve all the POR-15/Bondo issues as it was designed to work with POR-15 better.

Hope that helps.

7. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

David,
    Can't You also use por15 with fiberglass to patch holes? If I recall thats what it said on the paper work that I got with Mine. I did my floorboards with por15 and that was probably one of the best things I have done yet.

8. por15-texas

por15-texas Registered Member

Yes you can.. You soak the Fiberglass with POR-15 and lay it over the hole. If it's a large hole you can take cardboard and tape under it to support the Fiberglass till it drys to stop sagging. POR-15 has it's own version of Fiberglass called Power Mesh Reinforcing Fabric. Sold in 1 yard packages. Just cut to the size of the hole you need and let it overlap about one inch.

9. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Sounds like a good deal. I personally won't use Bondo. I think as far a fillers go 3M makes a much better product. Luckally I finished up all my body work last summer minus the finish paint.

10. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Yah, their powermesh works a lot better for delicate body work... I've found that the por patch is great to start the application of the power mesh.. just put a few spots like glue first, and then coat the area with the POR15.

11. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I had some holes in my floorboards and the groove by the doors. I used the power mesh and POR-15 to do the floor and fix the holes and it came out great. Pics here under the POR-15 project folder: http://community.webshots.com/user/douglasgrant

I still plan on doing a second coat and using my tube of POR-15 patch for some of the small holes I missed the first go around. I'm a big fan of POR-15 and have used it on my axles and I also sandblasted my frame and did it with 2 coats of POR-15 and a coat of POR-15 chassis black.