Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

POR-15 and interior floor rust hole fix

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Desert Rat, Apr 8, 2003.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I am putting back together one of the 74 Blazers I have to sell. But, I just couldn't resign myself into screwing over a buyer by giving them a floorboard that was hashed. So, I decided to POR-15 the floor and fix the rust holes in the door rails. POR-15 sells this fiberglass mesh that you can use to cover holes with and then coat in POR-15. It worked out reasonably well. I still have to do a second coat, but I am pleased with how it came out. See the pics here: http://community.webshots.com/user/douglasgrant

2. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

is this a good way to fix rust holes? Is it just bondo? Seriously, I have a 70 longbed that has some holes too and I need a way to fix it too. Is it steel mesh? Is it strong? I think it will look good but I plan on prerunnering my c10 so longevity is a major factor

3. DwarF

DwarF 1/2 ton status

rust is cancer, you can only cure it by cutting it out. Fiberglass is almost a worst screw over, b/c they won't know what they are getting into, unless they know to look for fiberglass.

Fiberglassing metal, without telling the buyer, is the same as cracking the odometer and rolling the miles back.

4. Desert Rat

Clearly you don't know much about POR-15. It isn't just painting regular paint over rust, which is a temporary fix. The fiberglass mesh mixes with the POR-15, which is specifically designed to seal and stop rust. The best bet is always to cut out rust and weld in new metal. But not everyone needs this fix if their holes are small enough. You also haven't gone to see the pics I took either. You'd have to be a booger eatin' moron to miss the small amounts of mesh that I used to fix the holes if one were to pull up the carpet that I plan on putting in. No sneaky hiding here. I suggest you go to POR-15's website /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif and see what they have to say ( http://www.porstore.com/index.htm) By the way, the authorities won't chase you down for using fiberglass and POR-15, they will if you roll your odometer back.....

5. DwarF

DwarF 1/2 ton status

Even though your combative remarks make me want to flame /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif, I will admit you are correct. I didn't read up on POR-15. I did focus on the fiber glass, and, just so you don't mar my good name with me sling mud at the drop of a hat, I did go see your pics before I replied the first time. I just didn't understand how POR-15 worked, and thought it was only a poxy for the mesh.

With that said. I don't see how POR is going to stop rust, if it is only placed on one side. Everything I have ever seen advertised to cure rust just doesn't work. It does nothing but stop it where it is applied, or covers it up. I can't say I have a lot of experience with this particular product, but I don't understand where it can be any different.

6. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

Sorry but I don't think any sort of fiberglass or pour in compound of any sort can really be called a "repair" for rust. The only real cure for rust is to remove it and the effected area and replace it with good old american steel. It might be a decent cover up or cosmetic fix but there is no way it will have the structural integrity or last as long as real metal. I wouldn't do this to a vehicle I cared about or planned on keeping for any period of time.

Still not as bad as rolling an odometer though. If this kind of repair bothers you then never take your truck to a body shop. Most do far worse cover up "repairs" than this on a regular basis. For good body work you will always pay through the nose as it's more art than mechanical.

7. RedBrute

RedBrute 1/2 ton status

I have used the same technigue to repair rust holes in a mower deck. I followed POR instructions and 2 years later, no rust and the "patches" still like the day I did them. Pretty impressive stuff.

8. Desert Rat

Wasn't trying to be combative per se. Although I would say that equating using POR-15 and fiberglass to illegally rolling an odometer would qualify. I would agree that most rust preventive type products don't really do that much. I think POR-15 is the exception. I've been using it quite a bit lately to paint my axles and my frame. I sandblasted my frame and did 2 coats of POR-15 and then a coat of POR-15 chassis black. The frame looks like I did a super thick powder coat but even stronger. POR-15 isn't your run of the mill paint. In fact, I over painted a section that I needed to weld. I couldn't get it off with any kind of solvent. I had to grind it off with a 4 1/2" grinder to get to bare metal. The stuff is amazing. As far as my floor goes, the intent isn't to completely replace it, just to stop it from spreading. I didn't want some poor guy to get stuck with the creeping crud when I sold the rig. On the rig that I am keeping, I will replace with metal where needed and use POR-15 on other places. The problem with even putting new metal on is that if you use cheap paint on the new metal, it starts rusting rather quickly. That's where the POR-15 comes in again.

9. DwarF

DwarF 1/2 ton status

Ya, I guess rolling an odo back was severe, I was trying to make a point about patching something and not letting buyer know. I would rather the seller show me the rust, so I know what I am getting into. In fact, I would rather the seller let me pull the carpet up so I can see what I am getting into. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

10. Desert Rat

Truth be told, I was a little peeved that I couldn't see the rust spots in the pan rail myself when I bought it. But, I think what I'm doing to it will satisfy all but the more experienced or picky buyer. I don't plan on selling this rig for a ton of money so the buyer will either drive it as is and wheel the crap out of it, or do as I am doing and do a complete resto anyway. I guess I did get my feathers ruffled slightly at the suggestion that I was in some way trying to screw a potential buyer, when in fact the opposite is true. The missus keeps getting on me to just slap it back together as is and dump it. I keep wanting to fix and upgrade stuff prior to selling it. She is probably right though....