Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

POR-15 Application

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, Jul 29, 2003.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Just got some POR-15. The plan was to slather it around on the frame and underbody rusty spots. The instructions are kind of scaring me a little, the way they call for so much preparation (namely, using their degreaser and metal prep products). Is it really necessary? Or can I pretty much just go for it and get pretty good results?

I was also wondering if anyone has used the stuff in visible spots on the body? I've got some rust around the door openings, under the weatherstripping. I was thinking of putting some POR-15 on there, then topcoating with matching touchup paint. Is that a good idea?

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I have used it before,I was amazed at how much it will cover in area with a brush,a pint did the entire inside foor of my cab and in my van front floor also.I suppose the stuff will work better when used as they say too--but I just brushed it on with no real preperation,I just wire brushed the metal where it was rusty and vaccumed it out .It needs rust for it to work right--dont sandblast the metal or grind it to bare metal,it needs the rust to start the chemical reaction that makes it so effective on rust.I learned this the hard way when my pretty black frame started peeling off like saran wrap! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifIt will turn flat if used on exterior application,at least the gloss black I used did,its not ultraviolet light resistant(sunshine)and must be topcoated .Its pretty durable stuff,I think its kinda pricey at 20+bucks a pint.I'm looking foreward to having a vehicle that isnt rusted in the first place someday!. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

prep is everything use their stuff marine clean and metal ready and then rust preventer and paint.i just did my waterpump next heads and block /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifwill post pics later

4. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

It works great on bare and sandblasted metal but the proper prep is a must or it will not stick very well. Follow their instructions exactly and you should have no problems. For bare metal or rusted metal you have to use the Metal Ready etch that they sell. I just coated some axle parts with Por15 after sandblasting and prepping them and it worked great.

5. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    It works great on bare and sandblasted metal but the proper prep is a must or it will not stick very well. Follow their instructions exactly and you should have no problems. For bare metal or rusted metal you have to use the Metal Ready etch that they sell. I just coated some axle parts with Por15 after sandblasting and prepping them and it worked great.

[/ QUOTE ]

The instructions are obviously geared towards people who have a single piece of rust metal, off the vehicle, sitting nicely on an old sheet in their garage. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I'm talking about driving the truck onto a tarp and going to town while laying on my back. Prepping everything according to the instructions would be a serious PITA! If I have to, then I guess that's just the way it is, but it might cause me just to do it the old fashioned way with 5 spray- cans of black rustoleum.

The instructions weren't real clear to me. It was clear that you needed prep for bare metal. It wasn't clear how much prep was needed for light rust.

Maybe I'll drop them an E-mail and see what they say.

Party of my problem is that it takes 2 weeks for stuff I order to get to me from POR-15, so if I have to order their prep stuff this project will encounter a major delay. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I just used some leftover POR15 on my trucks door. (was sick of the gray primer, and the brush was already wet, so...)

It looks horrible with the brush strokes and all (I find it rather humorous) but I didn't prep it at all. There were some very small spots of rust, but that was it. Didn't wash it or anything.

I painted my trailer the same way, and the stuff is sticking fine, but it has certainly discolered from the UV. Turned to more of a gray.

I did my oil pan with it (kind of a test) but I made sure to prep it correctly, then I topcoated. I did my trailer hitch, exposed parts of the frame, the floorpan underneath the sill plates, and the underside of the aluminum sillplates. The pieces I did quite some time back are holding up fine, some exposed to sun, some not, but none of it has started to peel.

I'm very happy with the product, when done as the instructions say, you will have no problems, and even with some user error, it seems to work more than just acceptably.

7. chebywanna

chebywanna 1/2 ton status

i used some of that stuff too, sand blasted a frame and painted it, (no othrer prep) and its stuck fairly good, no flaking, but not all that tough to scrape off. and then i let the frame sit outside (didn't know about the uv thing, all i got was don't paint stuff if its greasy) so after a long while the sun killed it and it wethered away from the top, looking at it from the bottom it was still as shiny as just painted. uv light will kill it. top coat wherever the sun can hit it.

8. RedBrute

RedBrute 1/2 ton status

Four years ago I painted my front and rear diffs while installing a lift. I degreased everything with Castrol superclean a stiff brush and garden hose. I wirebrushed every inch with an angle grinder and knotted cup wheel, and did the hard to get spots by hand. I hosed them off one more time, let dry overnight. Put 2 coats of gloss black POR15 on both, none of thier metal prep or degreaser.Over the july4th weekend I swapped those axles out for a D60/14BSF combo. After 4 years of New York winters of salted/sanded roads, there were only a few spots where rust was peeking thru. I'm sold on this stuff, and put 3 coats on the "new" axles. I bet in 4 more years they look as good or better than the old. The gloss black goes dull flat after a year or so however.