Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

POR 15 Fact or Fiction

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by JK5, Feb 20, 2002.

1. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I painted the frame and floor on my K5 about 10 years ago, everthing was sand blasted and I used POR15 (Paint Over Rust) as a paint and primer! I ran out of the POR15, so I used epoxy primer and enamel on my gas tank and the gas tank guard!! Well after 1 year the POR15 started to fade and flake off ( I was fired up), the gas tank and guard still look nice (after 10 years) w/o any problems!! Since I`m a painter and I have many years of experience, I found that epoxy primer and a couple coats of enamel will last much longer and it is cheaper, about half price!! So don`t make the same mistake I did!! POR15 is a very expensive and very toxic paint!!! I was lucky I ddin`t use it on a customers vehicle!! I`ve talked to others in my profession and they have had the same problems!!! Does anyone have any horror stories? Any good stories?

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Hmm..interesting. Never have tried the stuff myself

"Out in Luckenbach Texas, there ain't nobody feelin no pain" Waylon Jennings 1937-2002

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bluefox.tv/~lara>My Wonderful Site</a>

3. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> You shouldn't use it on bare metal unless you etch the surface first ....... it has to adhere to something, not a smooth sandblasted finish.

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

<font color=purple> monkeys steal my underwear at night

4. JK5

I didn`t have an adhesion problem, over time the paint seems dull and starts to break down and it has no UV protection. Now they have a UV protection coating they want you to use ( More money to spend).

5. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I have POR on the front half floor on my Volkswagen. It's been there for about 4 years. Still look's the same the day I did it...Great stuff. Never heard of it flaking or chipping...

Eric
    from Freekmont,CA.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/vwryda>I'm Discombobulated </a>

6. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> It's probably not good for it to be in direct sunlight just like any paint without a UV protective coat. I've heard nothing but good things about the product, which is why I bought it for my rear floor job. I don't think classic car people would swear by it if it weren't any good........ they're real picky people.

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

<font color=purple> monkeys steal my underwear at night

7. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I have found POR15 works awsome if protected. Like under carpet and under other layers of paint or clearcoat. Light and UV rays really seem to wreck havock on it. I'm try another product called zero rust. It is available in aresol cans and their clear coat blocks UV rays unlike most clears and also is way cheaper then most UV rated clears I have found.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

8. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Have you checked POR 15 out against something like Hammerite? When I was putting down POR 15 on my floorpans, it seemed to me like the POR 15 paint was a lot like hammerite. I thot then that maybe the reason POR was effective was adding the use of metal etch, and that the metal etch was what stopped the rust spread due to the zinc layer it created, then the POR paint just was a nice sturdy paint. Any thoughts?

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book. Inside of a dog, it is very dark.</font color=blue> [​IMG]

9. i'v got Hammerrite on the floor boards of two of my rigs. i bought the stuff in a can and brushed it on. then put a vynil insert in. no poblems. i also did the top of my blazer with it. use the spray cans for the outside and brushed it on the inside/top (had it out of the rig and upsidown at the time) was told by a guy in the coast guard that they used it on thier boats.

<font color=blue>You think you're excited, feel my nipples!

</font color=blue>

10. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I thought it converted rust or something...how does this work if the metal is primed first, doesn't it need to be in contact with the rust areas?? How does stuff like Rust Fix work...anyone? Seems pricey but easy to find in a spray can.

11. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Yea, POR 15 converts rust, but I don't know which part of the process does that, the metal etch/zinc stuff, or the paint.

Can't put it over paint or primer, needs a metal contact, either clean metal or rust.

Don't know about rust fix.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book. Inside of a dog, it is very dark.</font color=blue> [​IMG]

12. JK5

All it does is Bury the rust, in time, the rust will bubble the POR! Zinc is a mineral that is found in Epoxy Primers, how can rusty steel turn into Zinc?

13. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Por is suppost to be put right on baremetal, but if you don't have rust it can also be used too. You do have to be dang sure that you prep well because POR doesn't adhear all that well to painted surfaces. The metal ready prep spray is kinda BS I think. I would much rather use a rust nuteralizer or converters like Ortho. I personally really like the POR because it makes a very hard and water tight surface. I really like it over anything as a way to protect. It dies an excellent job as long as you keep it out of sunlight and prep well. I really think that once you have rust, there is no real way to get rid of it with out cutting out the rust and welding in new metal. If you can rmove most of the rust, then ortho the heck out out of the area, then apply a product that is suppost to seal out moisture (POR) or air and mositure (Zerorust), then primer over with their primerand paint. That is the best you can do and I'm sure that down the road it will bubble, especially if you don't hit the backside of the area, but if you prep well and take the time I have had really good luck with POR. I have been looking and working a bit with Zerorust now after hearing about it and seeing it comes in aresols. I'm not sold on the aerosal can stuff, but they do make a very nice and cheap UV clearcoat. Herculiner also has an affordable UV protectant clear coat.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>