Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

POR 15 Floor Pan & Trunk Restoration Kit

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by devilsquid, May 6, 2004.

1. devilsquid

devilsquid Registered Member

Has anyone used this before? I was thinking this might work to repair some of teh rust spots I have on the underside of my body, rockers, floor pans and the like.

thanks
    PJ

2. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I've used it. Went a pretty long way. Enough stuff to cover a 5 x 5 area, or a lot of spots IIRC. Just need to follow directions exactly to get good results.

3. devilsquid

woohoo! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif
    the one kit could very well fix just about all my floor issues!
    thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

PJ

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

The POR repair kit is pretty good- I've used allt he components. Their fiberglass matt is pretty good, allows very very good penetration as compared to regular fiberglass matt. however, after using it, in the floor board area that is needed to support weight, I would add a woven fiberglass matt (its thicker than the POR one) and top it with epoxy resin. Your end result is something similiar to strength to a heavy duty fiberglass fender, which should be as strong as the original.

5. devilsquid

Great, thanks for the info.
    I ordered it and it should be here in a few days. I'll let you know how it turns out.

PJ

6. speedyvision917

speedyvision917 1/2 ton status

when you say 5 x 5 do you mean inches or feet??? also where could i get one of these, because i need to redo my floors and this could be a easier cheeper solution, also will it work if i used it right where the front seats connect to the floor??? and would it be able to fix like a 1 ft by 2ft hole...ya /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif dunno wat i was thinkin

7. namkrow

namkrow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    would it be able to fix like a 1 ft by 2ft hole...ya /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif dunno wat i was thinkin

[/ QUOTE ]

Might want to add some sheet metal to that hole.
    I think small holes is all that the mesh is supposed to cover.
    The f-glass mesh and epoxy might be a semi-temporary fix, though.
    -T

8. devilsquid

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    would it be able to fix like a 1 ft by 2ft hole...ya /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif dunno wat i was thinkin

[/ QUOTE ]

Might want to add some sheet metal to that hole.
    I think small holes is all that the mesh is supposed to cover.
    The f-glass mesh and epoxy might be a semi-temporary fix, though.
    -T

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. For a hole that big you should really use some sheet metal to fix. Fiberglass matting / mesh would be fine on a hole about the size of your fist or so...but anything more than that and you would be better off with sheet metal. I will be using quite a bit of it on my truck /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

PJ

9. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

where are you getting this stuff from? im interested in using on my floors. wheres a good deal online?

10. devilsquid

[ QUOTE ]
    where are you getting this stuff from? im interested in using on my floors. wheres a good deal online?

[/ QUOTE ]

I went to the PRP POR-15 store and got the stuff in yesterday. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif If the weather holds I will do the work this weekend.
    /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

I'll let you know how it turns out.

PJ

11. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

actually, You can make fiberglass, pretty much as strong as steel- it just requires you to use enough of it, and use enough resin. If I were you, I'd clean out the rust, POR 15 the edges which were exposed.

Then, you need to use something for support ( you need support even for the POR15 method. They tell you to use "duct tape" to hold the holes from the underside so that the POR doesnt drip out). I modified that method slightly for holes that are large.

Use thin tin/aluminum siding, cut to approximately 1" past the repairing edge. Rivet in place from below (all depends on how you feel about fiberglass- its strong stuff, its just how much faith you have in it). Use epoxy resin, brush on coat, with particular attention to the edge (make a seal, so that moisture cant come up). Use fiberglass MESH (POR 15's stuff is good, but its thin. You want the woven mesh, not the chopped up fiberglass. Woven is stronger).Make this one fit roughly on the "inside" of the area. (you sandwiched the metal plate below, your using this first layer to make up the "height" difference.).

Brush on more epoxy, make sure to soak in through all the fibers. Use another fiberglass weave, this time 2" over the edge, again, making sure to soak in the epoxy. Do this maybe another 2 times, and let fully dry.

This thing will be Ultra tough.

If your having trouble believing this will work, just take a few layers of fiberglass matt,, and soak it with epoxy. let dry, and tell me how strong it feels to you. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

12. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

5 x 5 meaning 25 square feet.

13. speedyvision917

speedyvision917 1/2 ton status

im actually going to buy new floor panels from LMC and have them all redone