Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

POR 15.....Is it worth it?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90idahoblazer, Mar 11, 2002.

1. 90idahoblazer

90idahoblazer 1/2 ton status

Hey Guy's.....I have been seeing alot of comments on POR 15 in here...Is it good stuff? is the finish glossy? Can you put it on with a brush or do you need a sprayer? Whats the prep work I heard that you can put this stuff over anything and it inhibits rust...

Thanks

Tom

2. JDELBLAZ

JDELBLAZ 1/2 ton status

EVERY THING you say is true you can put it on with a brush or a sprayer but you must use threre thinner if you spray it you can paint it over any thing old paint and rust and it wont rust again i recomend it it works great

3. 90idahoblazer

Thanks for the input....anyone else out there worked with this stuff....Is it feasable to use it on the frame and inside wheelwells?

Thanks

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I like POR, but follow the directions! There are a lot of people that don't and then complain it sucks. It is made for bare metal and rust only. You need to use their metal prep treatment before hand to fight rust/nutralize it. It also hates UV light and will peel or fade. If you are leqaving it exposed us a good quality UV clearcoat over it. Zerorust makes a similar product and their UV coating is much cheaper the POR's. Also they make their product like POR in an aerosal. I don't think it is as good, but it works great for hard to brush areas.

POR can be shiney if you get the gloss black. Also you can brush it on and it is very brush streak resistant.

5. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Wish they would just come out with something that you can apply over paint, trash, grease or anything for that matter and have it where it just melts the $hit out of the way till it gets to the rust!!! Sure would be easier that way. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

6. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

I highly recommend it but don't pay the high price for their metal prep or thinner. You can buy a gallon of mauric acid at your local hardware store for metal prep (hydrocloric acid) which works wonder in metal prep (about 5 bucks), and they buy Xylene (xylol) also at hardware for about 8-10 bucks per gallon. I used it to thin and it is the same that POR15 sales. Just my 2 cents.

7. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Go to <a target="_blank" href=http://www.por15.com>www.por15.com</a> and order the free catalog. It has lots of info and gives you a rundown on all their products and how they should be used. They address the UV sensitivity issue too.

8. 1975k5

1975k5 Registered Member

I bought a product from Eastwood called Corrolis. It was developed to apply to Oil drilling platforms that spend all their time in the Gulf of Mexico in and around salt water (at least that is what I have read). Anyway, I applied it to every spot of rust on my 75 and have nothing but good to say about it. Go to www.eastwoodco.com and check it out. Helluvalot cheaper than POR-15.

Tom

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've used it on a frame, and prepping the metal just like they say resulted in a very nice looking, VERY tough finish. I took some tools to it to see how hard it was, I was impressed.

There are at least a few different colors, semi-flat black is pretty much the "correct" color for the engine bay, but it looks better IMO for a frame color too, unless you've got a show truck.

10. 90idahoblazer

Thanks guys for all the info......I guess this will be my summer prodject