Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

POR-15 opinions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BUDDY, Aug 16, 2000.

1. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

What do you guys think about POR-15? I've only heard good things about it but I want some objective feedback. Anybody used this stuff and what are your impressions?

Thanks

Buddy

I've got my dream truck and it's a 72 K-5 that is getting there!!

2. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

3. derek2002

derek2002 1/2 ton status

Just seems a little expensive to me... Maybe worth it, but seems hella pricey.

Later,

-Derek
    1977 3/4 Ton & Blazer Project (Body Needed)
    http://www.4chevy.com

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Get ahold of MICHIGAN BLAZER..........apparently her and her husband have used it with success in the past.

5. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

Where can you get it, and how much is it?

[​IMG]

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

7. Captkaos

Captkaos 1/2 ton status

After I sandblasted my frame, I painted (sprayed) it with POR-15. I bought 2 quarts for $75 and I have painted the frame, the bottom of the cab, gas tank, gas tank skid, upper control arms, braces for the blazer tank and I had about 1/2 a quart left. Before it dried, I painted it with gloss black. I ordered the gloss this time, before I used the semigloss. Great stuff, will used it again.

[​IMG]

In the pic below, everything on the left was painted over with gloss, on the right (skid) was just left the semigloss color.
    [​IMG]

Chris Lucas
    http://www.wwisp.com/~captkaos

8. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I ordered a gallon and it got here yesterday. I'm going to spend next week undercoating the whole truck. I figure between the por-15 on the old parts and herculiner on the new ones, I shouldn't see rust again for a very long time. It is expensive but if it protects my truck from the NY winters then it's a pretty good deal.

Joe
    Rochester Institute of Technology Team Mini-Baja
    88 Jimmy

9. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Excellent product slowly doing my 87 blazer. Did use it on my 57 buick frame and floor pans. Just make sure everything is oil and grease free. Will eventualy use it on my 66 grand prix.

10. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

I also had my frame blasted and then sprayed POR-15. I am very impressed. I like it. The only think you have to look out for is any parts that will be in the sun must be coated in some sort of paint over the POR-15 as it is UV sensitive. Good Luck...

BlazerBoy
    http://generalblueballs.coloradok5.com

11. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

Blazerboy is right POR15 is UV sensitive but they have paint out that bonds well to it and isn't UV sensitive. I too thought that it was expensive until I discovered how much area a pint covered. I am very interested in their entire line of products I just don't have anywhere to put my rig while I do a frame up [​IMG]
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

12. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

I also used there exhaust manifold paint. It looks great and seems to be really durable. I havent yet got her back together enought to start her up, so I dont know how well it takes the heat or how long it will last but I think it is going to be pretty decent....

BlazerBoy
    http://generalblueballs.coloradok5.com

13. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

Looks nice. I'm suprised to see you on here, never have b4! BTW, I will be picking up the BH this saturday. I told the guy to just set it out in front (I mailed him a check) and i'd pick it up. Sorry 'bout that.... I should procured it when I was there the first time!

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

14. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

How much does it take to coat the bottom of the truck and how much would it cost to do that?

90K5

15. Captkaos

Captkaos 1/2 ton status

I have been here..

Squash,
    I have been here since before Steve changed to this new forum. I even sent the link in "The List". I actually have been away from the internet for the past 4 months, but I am back now.

Thanks for the BH, I knew you didn't forget. And anyways, as you can tell the truck doesn't run anyway.

Have I showed you the Hilborn since I FINALLY got it back?
    [​IMG]

Whatcha think? BTW, I have been sending some people your way about your EFI conversion. Hope you don't mind. If so, tell me.

Chris Lucas
    http://www.captkaoscustoms.com

16. Captkaos

Captkaos 1/2 ton status

My truck is a Pickup, so....

Not sure how much it would cost to get it done. There is alot of work cleaning the bottom of a cab. I would media blast it if I were you. I think a quart would do it, but I am not sure. It took 1/2 or less to do this:
    [​IMG]

Chris Lucas

17. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Re: My truck is a Pickup, so....

Looks great Chris! I can see you've been staying busy. Are those Impala SS wheels? I assume the EFI wizard (squash) is helping you out with the FI stuff. Take care.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

18. Captkaos

Captkaos 1/2 ton status

Had me tripping Shawn....

Yep, been a little busy. Heck I spend more time waiting for stuff than actually putting it together. I waited about a month and a half before I got leaf bushing that would fit, ONLY after getting new springs.

Good eye Shawn, I couldn't figure out where you saw the Impala SS wheels, but yes they are Impala SS wheels, 17x8.5 Although a crappy pic, here is what they looked like on the truck when running:
    [​IMG]

And yes, Squash has been my EFI expert, guide and connoisseur. He is my hero! <grin> Did you ever get your MPFI on?

Chris Lucas

19. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Re: Had me tripping Shawn....

Those wheels are easy to spot. Haven't got that damn MPFI on yet since the first part of the year I was working on the axles/suspension, then after I had enough money to buy different heads, I found out the oval ports didn't match so when I had my heads done with 2.19 valves I had the manifold ported to match but the head shop must of had them for at least 2-3 months. Now I finally have my heads/manifold back but I'm working on installing new 4.88 gears/ARB locker. Always something!

Sorry to get off the por-15 subject guys. Uhhh, yeah that por-15 is good stuff. Get some!

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

20. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

When you guys use POR-15 do you use the Metal Ready and all the other surface prep stuff they say to use? I was planning on sanding the floor, cleaning it with acetone, and then painting it. Does the Metal Ready really make that much of a difference?

Joe
    Rochester Institute of Technology Team Mini-Baja
    88 Jimmy