Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

POR-15 or Spray in Bedliner?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RingMaster4x4, Aug 12, 2003.

1. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well I am about to start to do (or have done) the body work to my blazer I am only going to do the interior of me blazer for not. I have to get the front floor fixed and the rockers replaced.

What I am wanting to know is would in be better to have some bedliner sprayed in it or to POR the inside? There is some surface rust forming it the rear but other then that it is pretty rust free. I plan on putting in some sound deadener and a rubber floor mat. So I want to do it right the first time so I am not tearing it all back out again in a few years.

Thanks for your time.

2. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i am planing on por 15 only in the rust area and hurkaliner in the hole in side but i am planing on no carpet ( all open ) and i hope the hurk covers the patches on the floor from showing

i am going to watch your post to get some help for my self /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. COLLISION

COLLISION 1/2 ton status

If the rust spots are small, then clean them up with a grinder or wire wheel, use some etch primer over the bare metal and bedline the floor. The por15 is very tedious to apply over bare metal(lots of prep required).The box liner will be a much easier and slower wearing product.

I por15'd my underside and top of my floor and am still going to apply a spray in box liner for durability and coverage.

I was thinking of smearing vaseline on the floor and then having the industrial bed liner sprayed in. Vaseline would prevent it from bonding to the floor. Instant removable rubber flooring 1/8" thick /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. RingMaster4x4

5. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Why not do both? That is what I plan on doing. On the 74 I am selling, I stripped the floor to bare metal and did POR-15. On the 76 I just bought, I plan on stripping the floor, doing 2-3 coats of POR-15, then POR-15 primer, then having Line-X or Rhino lining sprayed over the top of that.

6. RingMaster4x4

that would be ok? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. Desert Rat

Sure. There are other posts here I think that someone mentioned they did it. The POR-15 literature I have says if you primer over the regular POR-15, you can put whatever you want on top of it. You just have to make sure you use the primer or it won't adhese.

8. RingMaster4x4

If it will stick to it I think I will do that. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Desert Rat

[ QUOTE ]
    CAN I PAINT OVER POR-15 WITH OTHER PAINTS?
    Absolutely. POR-15 will accept all paints, including lacquer-based paints. POR-15 Tie-Coat Primer is the best prime coat to use before topcoating POR-15. Be sure to read thoroughly our directions and tip sheets regarding topcoating before using POR-15.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is off their web site. Go here and read their stuff: http://www.prp-porstore.com/index.htm

10. RingMaster4x4

I e-mailed POR and this is the response they gave me.

Yes, you can put the bed liner over the POR-15. You'll want put it on just after applying the POR-15 when it is just beyond tacky (about 1 - 3 hours depending on the amount of humidity.

I'm posting some info on our Frame Coater Combo Special below which is really just a quart each of the Marine Clean, Metal Ready and POR-15. A quart of POR-15 will give you about 100 square feet of coverage which should be enough to give the bed of your truck two coats.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!

Frame Coater Combo ( http://prp-porshop.com/go.mvc?ID=FK ). It includes each of the three steps you'll need to get the best POR-15 adhesion and costs only $45 saving you a couple off $ of the combined price.

The kit includes:

1 Qt. Marine Clean - an alkaline cleaner and will strip away any oil and wax.

1 Qt. Metal Ready - a mild acid that will neutralize any remaining rust, etch the metal slightly and leave a zinc phosphate coating that the POR-15 will better adhere to.

1 Qt. POR-15 - your choice of color. A quart covers 96 sq. ft and we recommend two coats, so actual coverage is closer to 50 sq. ft.

As long as the areas you're treating aren't exposed to direct sunlight you don't need to top coat.

You can top coat without any additional prep by using one of our POR-15 top coats which can be found here: http://prp-porshop.com/go.mvc?ID=Topcoats

If you do need to topcoat with another manufacturer's paint for best results use our Tie-Coat Primer (http://prp-porshop.com/go.mvc?ID=TCP) which is designed to help any other paint adhere to POR-15. It goes on thick and sands real well to a smooth finish.

Otherwise, you can also apply another manufacturer's topcoat of paint to the POR-15 while it is in the "just beyond tacky" stage where it won't leave a finger print, but is still not fully cured (usually about 1 - 3 hours after application).

Adam
    www.prp-porshop.com
    1-866-888-2651

11. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

If you use a spray inliner get a smooth surface finish...you can get it in different textures... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif