Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

POR-15 powermesh

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, May 9, 2004.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Anyone ever used this stuff? I got some to try and span some holes in some sheet metal, but I lost the instructions. I'm trying to "wing it", but I'm not sure I'm doing it right. I put some POR-15 around the hole, let it get tacky, then put a piece of mesh across it and tried to paint more POR-15 over the top. Right now it looks like a big mess with fibers all over, and the mesh has been seeping for 10 minutes. I wonder if I should let it dry and then sand it or something?

Thanks for any help. I'm disappointed that the POR-15 site doesn't have electronic copies of the instructions. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

2. namkrow

namkrow 1/2 ton status

Looking at their catalog now, it appears as though they want you to lay the material flat. They also mention "POR Expoxy Putty", as another product to be used with it.
    Perhaps if you put some epoxy at the ends to stretch it tight, then use the POR 15 (un diluted) to coat it?
    Just a thought.
    -T

3. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I did my floor in one of my 74's with it. See it here: http://community.webshots.com/user/douglasgrant under POR-15 floor project. I simply painted the POR-15 on, pushed the mesh into the fresh paint, and painted over it again. It hardened quite well. I also used the POR-15 putty in the holes. I was very pleased how the project came out. I had a bunch of rot in the door channel area and it did a great job of fixing it.

4. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Did you end up with fiberglass texture still there when it was all done? Maybe I was just expecting too much. I thought I could get rid of a hole without having a blatantly obvious fiberglass patch showing on the surface.

I'm doing it mostly for looks. I screwed some things into my fender well and now they are gone, so I want to get rid of the holes. I think holes look better than the patches. Maybe I can patch from underneath next time (this is the practice side, where I had a hole far down the back where it's invisible anyway.

5. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

If you are concerned about looks, just put a small bolt in the hole and paint over it. The mesh will show. If you put it from the backside, then you won't see it as much. But, you will see it a little. I read somewhere where somebody put down a piece of duct tape, and POR-15'ed over that. I don't know how long that would last though.

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

if your just trying to get rid of some screw holes, the power mesh wasnt really necessary-. Clean, por 15, let dry. Use por putty to fill holes. Dry, sand down, clean, POR 15 surface. Done.

The power mesh is really for when you got some massive spaces to fill- say a 1" hole, repeated like 20 times.