Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

POR-15 pros, cons, and removal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mostwanted, Feb 18, 2007.

1. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

I bought some POR-15 this week and I plan to apply it to the axles I am rebuilding. Mainly I was just curious how hard it is to remove once applied:doah:. Reason I ask is I may need to weld to the axle someday. I wonder if it would grind off ok? I know, strange question. Any other concerns I should consider?

Also, please check my plan as I want to make sure this stuff works right. The website says that this stuff sticks well to "rough" and "rusty" metal (among other things). But they also say I need to coat with this metal prep if it is bare metal. Well, before I bought it, I ground most of the rust off with a wire wheel and grinder. It's not bare by any means. Do you think the por-15 will stick right without that metal ready?

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

It will come of with a grinder just like any other paint.
    If you don;t have the metal ready just clean the metal off. get any oil and dirt off then spray te bare metal with water a few times until it rusts up. Then remove the loose rust with a handheld wire brush and apply the POR15

3. greyhoundjc

greyhoundjc 1/2 ton status

POR15 is great, it just depends on how you want to apply it. If you plan on spraying it, I would use a cheap paint gun that you really don't care about ruining. I used a decent gun, and I guess that I let it stay in the gun too long. I had to spend an hour trying to clean it. Still has POR 15 all over it and I'm sure inside it too. When I did the floor of my K5, I just used some cheap chip brushes and it smoothed out pretty well.

4. BlaKK54Speed

BlaKK54Speed 1/2 ton status

you dont have to have rust to apply it, it just does good on rust is all, any bare metal it will bond too. just make sure it is clean of dirt/oil that kind of thing.i would run some sand paper over any smooth metal, if its too smooth it can peel off later.. personal experience