Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

POR-15 question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by thatK30guy, Oct 12, 2002.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Is this stuff applicable by spraying on? If so, is it required to be reduced with anything?

I'm asking because I would like to do the POR-15 by spraying it to get an even coat and finish. Don't want the "brushed-look."

What colors are available, too?

2. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

here you go wes,...

As per there web site.. por-15

SPRAY APPLICATION:
    Use 30-35 lbs pressure for normal gloss. Reduce pressure for lower gloss (20-25 lbs). Thin only with POR-15 Solvent, if necessary, but do not thin more than 5%. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Wes

Yes it's definitely sprayable & POR sells their own thinner to use with it. It's probably nothing special but I do know that normal paint thinners don't even being to affect it! Trust me, I found out the hard way! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

In the meantime; you don't need to spray it to have a smooth finish. That stuff is incredibly thin & goes a looong way. I used $0.50 paint brushes to apply it on my floor subframes & it goes glossy smooth; even applied by a cheap brush! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I'm planning to paint my whole Blazer with it. They have a TOPCOAT version available now that is 95% as durable as the original POR15 & not affected by UV! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So for $250; I can paint my Blazer with a ROCK hard paint using a paint brsh; have a glossy smooth finish & touch-ups will be a joke! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Hope this helps

4. thatK30guy

Thanks, guys!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

how far would a gallon of por-15 semi gloss black go you think? i would be using it to paint fender weels, floor bourds, and frame/springs/axles..

6. Brian 89KBlazer

Bryan

I was told 400 sq ft per gallon by the POR15 rep I deal with here in Canada.

But that's for a single coat so you'll only get 200 sq ft applying a second coat like POR recommends.

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

hmmmm so what should i get like 2-3 gallons? im not at this stage yet..but will be once i get all my floor peices welded in and ready to be painted..what side should be painted though, the underside of the floor or the top side..i would think the bottom side..cause thats were all the salt gets to..

8. Brian 89KBlazer

I'm sure your local POR rep would love for you to order 2-3 gallons but I doubt you'll need that much! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Just as an example; the biigest area you plan to paint is your floors & even then, the rear is 6x6 approx. so you're only talking 36 sq ft for the floors. I'd say start with a gallon; at most a gallon & a quart & go from there. Only thing is this stuff ain't cheap so if you won't be doing it all within a reasonable time (6 months or so) then buy less & buy as you need it so you don't have stuff drying up & going to waste.

Good Luck /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

so just use a regualar paint brush? thanx for the help!!

10. mattyblazer

mattyblazer 1/2 ton status

Hi ,
    I have sprayed it on, it does not need to be thinned reduced or anything, it comes out of the can very thin. You can top coat it with any color or type of paint you want. There are a few colors available, you will need an organic particle mask if you spray. The paint is naptha based so it doesnt react properly to traditional thinners.
    A 4 ounce can can cover 12 square feet, the paint is self leveling, but you can still see some brush marks. Great stuff, I have been coating every thing in my blazer top and bottom, just coated visible parts with black DBU.

Matt por 15

11. k5_beater

k5_beater Registered Member

how much por-15 would i need to cover 4 15x10 rims. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

12. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

How much surface prep do you do -- do you follow the website's information? I was highly interested in doing my frame and underbelly but the salesperson I spoke to kind of talked me out of it because of all the stripping I would have had to have done.

13. Brian 89KBlazer

K5 Beater

A quart cover 96 sq ft according to the company website so at a rough guess, a 15x10 wheel might be 8-9 sq ft in surface area so you should comfortably coat a set of wheels with 2 coats using a quart.

Smack

As for following the directions; I spent alot of time asking about POR15 on this site before I bought it & the only negative thing that seemed to come up about it was that it didn't work well if not applied properly. So I made sure to follow the instructions exactly. Washed it, treated it with marine clean & metal ready & then painted it on. Mine is a tough as nails & barely scratches the surface with a key! I have enough to paint my axles, frame, floors, wheelwells, etc. I wouldn't hesitate to use it! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Good Luck

14. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

Brian, wasn't it a complete bitch stripping everything?? Can't imagine how to get to all those in-between frame parts without pulling the whole damn body off!!

15. Brian 89KBlazer

Well; that wasn't hard at all for me! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I built a new boxed tube chassis for my Blazer & removed all of the floors from the body except the tranny tunnel & built my own floor subframe system so I didn't have to mess around with cleaning the old frame or crap like that!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

16. thatK30guy

Heck, if I'm gonna use POR-15, I'm removing the body and stripping the frame down and sandblast it. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Same with the axles and springs, too!

17. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

which is something i aint going to be doing nor have the time/skill for..looks like por-15 just got crossed of my list now! maybe ill just do the new floor panals i put in..that way i wont have to go through cleaning all that crap up. i dont get it though..paint over rust...what does that make you think? yet you have to buy all there other damn stuff to get it ready..sounds like a scheme to me!

18. thatK30guy

I didn't like the "paint over rust" thing either. That's why I want to sandblast everything and then paint them. This will prevent rust from starting again. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

19. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

is it possible to paint over the rust? my frame axles and whole drivetrain are covered in surface rust from the rochester weather..i just wanted something that would keep rust from getting back on it...and to clean it up and make it look better, i want to paint it all black again..but i cant take the body of, and i cant sandblast it or do any of that fancy stuff, im only 16 and this is my first truck so i dont have a lot of time and money to do some of this stuff..i dont care if its bumby from the rust..i just want it black, would bedliner be a better solution?

20. RedBrute

RedBrute 1/2 ton status

It can be sprayed but try buying one of the "super starter kits" for under $20 and experiment. I was very skeptical of the claims myself. I painted an old rusty bracket folowing thier instructions to the letter. I soaked that bracket in my pool all summer last year, one day in, one day out. The rust never came back, but the gloss black finish got very dull from sunlight. I know rustoleum can't survive one summer on my lawn furniture without the rust coming thru. I have also had good results topcoating the 2nd coat of POR15 with automotive enamel. I sprayed that on when the 2nd coat still was a bit "tacky". Six months later still looks good.Lastly, I put a new tailpipe on the blazer last fall. I sanded the whole thing and painted it 2 coats. This fall, no rust showing thru, even after a sandy/salty winter... I'm starting to think this stuff is what they say it is.