Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Por-15 vs Rustolium

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5XLR8R, Sep 20, 2000.

1. K5XLR8R

K5XLR8R 1/2 ton status

This may be a no brainer, but whats people's opinions of rustolium....does it really work, or is it just a scam??? Also, has anyone ever used the rust neutralizer by "Mar-Hyde"???? Did it do the job or is it another false promise?

2. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Rustoleum $3.95 a can. Por 15 $25 and up. I sandblasted my 14FF and painted it with rustoleum it looks good and i have done some major offroading..it still looks good and it was CHEAP!!! Or use the cans of spray on bedliner if you dont want scratches to appear as ofton..my rustoleum finish is chipping a little... but did I mention it was cheap??

3. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

POR15 converts rust to a hard finish that shouldn't ever come off unless it is painted over dirt, it seals out moisture from the metal so that rust can't form under it agian, it's expensive but if it's done right it should never have to be applied again.
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

4. K5XLR8R

K5XLR8R 1/2 ton status

How much dirt is to much to paint over??..Ive blasted the underside with high pressure water at the carwash, but caint get it spot less...is a little minor dirt/dust ok???(for por 15)And what about "mar-hyde" rust converter??? has anyone ever used this stuff..???????

5. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

6. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

It sounds to me like rustoleum, Hammerite you can buy it at Home Depot might be your best bet. The POR stands for paint over rust, I talked with our local distributor and he said that loose rust should be sanded off but that a good surface rust is what Por should be used on so I said that I just had a bunch of parts sandblasted and he said that would be great too just not to wire wheel the areas to be painted because that would leave the surface too smooth for the piant to adhere to.
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

7. JAXSTER

JAXSTER 1/2 ton status

spray on prep solvent befor painting and it will ech surface so paint will bond. I have three trucks and no chipping yet!