Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

POR 15

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Mar 1, 2001.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Can I use POR 15 on metal that isn't rusty to prevent rust? I have only heard about it being used on rust to stop it. How much would I need to coat the floor of my K5 from the firewall the where it raises up to the back seat?

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

2. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I want to get some of that. I have heard it is hard as a rock and seals out great. I have been told just paint it on like paint... one or 2 coats should do ya... but not sure of exact amount... 1 qt maybe?

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

3. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

yes you sure can, it works great, I had my frame & axels sand blasted then I spayed it with por15 and it still looks perfect.. just dont get any on you it takes weeks to come off..lol

BlazerBoy
    http://generalblueballs.coloradok5.com

4. mudpuppy89k5

mudpuppy89k5 Registered Member

I've been using it on the underside/frame of my truck. According to their literature, POR-15 prefers rusty or bare metal. Painting over old paint and/or primer may not allow it to bond to the metal as it is designed to do. They have a "Metal Ready" primer that might help. I would contact them and ask what they would suggest. They have a pretty good web site at www.por15.com or you can call their customer service at 1-800-457-6715. I've talked with them on the phone and sent questions by e-mail and have had good experiences with both. I've seen information on the area of coverage but I don't remember if it was on the can or on the web site.

As far as the paint goes, I've been pleased with the way the POR-15 lays down with a brush. Most, if not all, of the brush marks disappeared. I used it right out of the can with no thinning. The instructions say to use thin coats - do it, otherwise it tends to run. I tried their "Chassis Coat Black" this past week-end and was not as pleased. It was too thick out of the can and needed to be thinned. I'm going to try spraying it this week-end to see if it does better.

John Perry
    http://www.mudpuppy.coloradok5.com/

5. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Scuff the paint first with some 80 grit. POR 15 will not stick to paint very well.

6. rgd

rgd Registered Member

What is the texture of this product like when it is dry? Is it smooth like normal paint, rubbery like undercoating or hard/rough like line-ex? Is this a repacement for line-ex or durabak-like products, or can these be added over the POR 15?

7. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

It looks like paint when it is dry. Don't bother putting it over old paint or you are just wasting it. It needs to bond to the metal or else it won't have any of the important properties that you bought it for.

The "Metal Ready" is a watery blue liquid that actually etches the metal and leaves a coating of zinc phosphate, which is supposed to be an ideal bonding agent for the POR15. If your metal isn't rusty already, just use some of this after sandblasting or wire brushing and careful cleaning.

You can use POR15 for body work, but it is really hard stuff to sand, so you have to get it close with thin coats and then use a building primer to get a flat surface to put your paint on.

<font color=blue>"Who are these guys?" --Al Gore, referring to busts of Jefferson, Washington and Franklin on a televised tour of Monticello.</font color=blue>