Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Por 15

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazerGuy, Jun 30, 2000.

1. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Is it possible to apply por 15 to the frame with the body still attached? Or is this more trouble than it's worth? Also should I spend money to put por 15 on the undercarriage(mainly the floorpan) or just get some spray-on rubber coating?

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Hey Corby, I wouldn't think rust would be a huge problem in Austin. POR15 is mainly a rust "stabilizer". It is used to kill the rust you already have......if ya don't have any yet paint should be OK on the frame. Same goes for the floorpan....if you have rust already it needs to be neutralized. POR15 would be great for that. Spray on rubber will help with heat and sound.

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

It had zero rust when we bought, but my brother drove it on the beaches in NC, when he went to college. And when it got back it was covered in rust.

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]

4. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

POR 15 is great stuff....as far as I can see so far. I like it. It's still a lot of prep work to use POR 15 though. But if you just have the beginings of rust...now is the time before it's too late. ONce you've got it....it goes quick(the metal that is) And if you buy a new truck or one in primo shape.....pleeeaaase undercoat it....that stuff works. My mom's got an 87 van that she bought when it was 2 years old from texas...no rust. She immediately got it undercoated. 13 years old and no rust....she doesn't wash the thing either. I think it's been washed like 10 times in it's life!

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Hey Michigan........What exactly do you mean about the prep work? Is it hard or just time-consuming? I'm getting the Blazer painted right now, and the underside needs a bit of TLC. I've heard a lot about the product, but not enough about the actual application.

6. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Por-15 can be applied directly over rust but will leave a rough finish. Por-15 sells other products were the surface can be preped for more of a smooth finish. Have always used por-15 directly out of the can with no problems. Will be doing my blazer this fall. Just don't get it on your skin and let it dry it takes a while for it to wear off. And wipr off any parts that it gets on that you don't want it on while it is still wet. I think it is well woth the money. t ook me and a buddy about 4 hours doing the underside of my 57 buick floorpans and frame car was not taken apart.Only took off gas tank.

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

So if I'm more concerned about the protection factor than the appearance, there is no need for any special prep procedure? All I'm really concerned about is treating any visible rust on the frame and undercarriage and preventing more from popping up. Can you just apply it with a brush? And do I have to avoid any wiring and brake lines, etc...?

8. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

yeah, you can apply it with just a brush...that's how I did. what I meant about prep work was it took me a while to do my body...I didn't do my underside. I would take a wire brush a get the big chunkies off. I like POR 15 though. I bought the silver paint....nice a thick and w/the metal flakes in it it really did stiffen up my soft metal and filled in a few pin holes.

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

9. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

Yeah it is a great product, I am actually doing the inside and underside of my project this week. The only think POR-15 requires as in prep work, like any other paints, is that the metal is clean of all oil, grease, loose rust, and any other debris. Here is a pic of my frame, I have many more pics guys just have been slacking on getting them scanned. Hope this helps

BlazerBoy
    http://generalblueballs.coloradok5.com