Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. sharkman726

sharkman726 Registered Member

Any info on how effective POR 15 is? I decided to look at my floor pans the other day and UGH! Pretty bad. I ordered some replacement pans from LMC and a friend of mine said since I am replacing the pans to just pull out everything and POR 15 the whole bottom in and out. Anyone who has used it got some feeback or any tips on using it. I understand it hardens to a ceramic like substance. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

IMO Por-15 is the big chit! I got some and coated my D60 and 14B before installing them and that stuff is rock hard! I am blown away by it. My friends thought I sprayed it on but they didn't believe I put it on with a brush. It dries and leaves no brush marks. One thing I have noticed, it bonds better to slightly rusty metal than bare. I shaved my 14B and hit it with a grinder to smooth the edges on it and it did not stick as well as to the rest of the housing. I painted a lot of parts with it individually also. Steering box, backing plates, diff covers, knuckles, 14B drums etc.. Just use the gloves like the directions state. It wont come off after it starts to cure. I had it on my hands for a week /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif. It's amazing stuff.

Clay
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

A buddy of mine also used it on his K5's tub underneath. It looks awesome. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Clay
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Did my frame with it.Excellant stuff that is very durable..............

5. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

have on protective clothing (gloves, paper mask, long sleeve shirt....) and safety glasses when you use this stuff - if it gets on you, the only thing that will get it off is time. read and follow the directions; its not your standard paint. imo - good stuff...

6. mudjunkie 82

[ QUOTE ]
    have on protective clothing (gloves, paper mask, long sleeve shirt....) and safety glasses when you use this stuff - if it gets on you, the only thing that will get it off is time. read and follow the directions; its not your standard paint. imo - good stuff...

[/ QUOTE ]You got that right.be real careful if you spray it on.use a good resperator.that stuff is wicked

7. rimfire

rimfire Newbie

sharkman... What is LMC? I too am in need of a floor pan and also that tunnel thing mounted in the bed that goes around the fuel tube.

8. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

http://www.lmctruck.com/

You can do online ordering, but you have to know the numbers out of one of their catalogs. You can request a free catalog on the site (and they'll send you new ones whenever they're printed).

9. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well...

I first used POR15 about 15 years ago...
    I liked it at first...
    But after about 10 years...POR15 will start to FALL OFF!!!

Of course I heard..."You did something wrong!!!"

But the FACT of the matter is...
    POR 15 HATES SALT....SUN...and MOISTURE!!!

I've been using Epoxy primers...and urathane paints...
    to HOLD-UP to the elements...

The only vehicles STILL look good...with POR15
    have been in the garage...for 15 years... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

10. mudjunkie 82

THey say if you paint it with por15 you need to topcoat it with chassisblack.this is a topcoat to protect it from uv rays..........................

11. JK5

Yah....I know....I did!!!
    I spent a fortune on their products... /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I would rather work with the modern "High Tech" paints...
    They KICK ASS!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I just painted a 34'Ford frame...and went Epoxy/Urathane...
    I costs MUCH less...and takes LESS time...and looks and lasts much longer... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

12. mudjunkie 82

Damn and I spent about 280.00 bucks and now you tell me /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

13. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

The floor inside my cab is rust pitted but no holes so I decided to coat it with POR15.I followed the instructions word for word,by winter the rust was comming back through and it was comming off.

14. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

15. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I have POR'd my cab and love the stuff.
    This post made me wonder if my cab will start peeling in 10 years. So I emailed POR tech support and linked this post - here's the reply:

[ QUOTE ]
    Answer: If applied correctly it should last indefinitely. The sentence that says por15 hates sun salt and moisture is not entirely true. Sun will make POR15 start to deteriorate over time. We do not hide this fact and recommend covering the POR15 with a top coat if it will be in direct sunlight . Now as far as salt and moisture. Por15 is a moisture cured urethane so it really loves moisture it makes it harder. We have countless amounts of customers that paint the bottom of boats and leave them in water in direct contact with the water and have zero problems. Salt POR15 has no problem with salt we have tests that prove so. Unfortunately some people have bad experiences and of course there will be some. I am sure if we could have talked to this person we would have figured out what went wrong and probably would have helped out with the problem(i.e. maybe send him product or half off or something). Usually there is a slight overlook during the process. After that long of period of time I do not understand how POR15 would start to fall off unless it was in direct sunlight everyday for 10 years and was not top coated then maybe maybe he would be right. We just do not have people that call with that type of problem. I can honestly tell you POR15 is the best product on the market bar none. I know I work for the company but if you follow the directions carefully you will not have any problems guaranteed. Thanks Chris

[/ QUOTE ]

So that's what POR has to say. I think POR is still the best stuff out there and this post is the first complaint I've ever heard about it.
    You decide.

16. JK5

LOL...What did YOU expect him to say???

"The moisture under the POR15 WILL eventually turn into a BIG ZIT...and when YOU pop-it...YOU'LL find there is NO more metal to RUST!!!!"

[ QUOTE ]
    Por15 is a moisture cured urethane so it really loves moisture it makes it harder.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...That sounds like BS!!!
    The Urathane I use has a REAL HARDENER!!!!!

POR15 is just expensive rust-oleum!!!!

17. sharkman726

sharkman726 Registered Member

Well I went ahead and ordered some and will give it a shot. thanks for the feedback see ya in the mud.

18. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

POR 15 only works on metal that is already rusty. Even with their "Marine Clean" and "Metal Prep" the stuff won't stay on smooth new metal.

I also used some of their POR-PATCH, sanded it and painted over it. 3 months later it was cracked and let moisture through to the metal.

19. JK5

[ QUOTE ]
    POR 15 only works on metal that is already rusty. Even with their "Marine Clean" and "Metal Prep" the stuff won't stay on smooth new metal.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...Actually bare metal is the BEST method...
    I sandblasted my axles...in 91'...and the POR15
    is NOT flaking..

The bottom line is...
    YOU paint over RUST...it WILL NEVER SLEEP!!!!

20. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Mixed feelings here. The first truck I did, it all flaked off. I was told I did it wrong. This time, I got all the instructions, used the Marine Clean and Metal Prep and followed all the instructions. Spent some big bucks on all this stuff. I'm doing the diffs. on another truck as I rebuid them ... hope it works, this stuff is a pain when it starts to peel.

Eric M.