Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

POR on Wheels????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Rob 85K5, May 8, 2003.

1. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Has anyone used POR on steel rims.
    What were the results?

I have a quart of POR to use and it would save $100 over buying powder coated wheels.

2. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

it needs to be the kind that can take sun exposure...i think its the gloss black stuff, or i think it flakes off.
    I'm sure someone will have better imput!

3. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif My wrenching buddy did it and they still look good but you will still need a top coat

4. alesko

alesko Registered Member

I used por on my wheels and then used a can of spray bed liner over top of the por. Only been on about 6 weeks and still looks good so far.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

As others have said, the UV will kill POR-15's color if you don't do something about it. I painted my trailer last summer with it, knowing it wasn't "UV color stable", and just did a little touch up a week ago on the trailer.

The color change is quite dramatic, and I even used semi-flat black. The "new" paint is MUCH "blacker", where the area thats been painted for over a year is more "gray". Seems to be sticking pretty good, but IMO, it's just paint, and it probably won't stick much better than a spray can. Goes on thicker when you brush it, but thats probably the only advantage.

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

POR is pretty tough stuff, but you have to clean the wheels off pretty good, then use the metal ready stuff. After a few coats of POR, it is highly recommended to top it off with a non UV - active paint- such as regular spray paint. That way, you have a tough, durable base.

7. Tuff

Tuff Registered Member

Where can I buy POR locally or do you have to order it online?

8. por15-texas

por15-texas Registered Member

You have to be a AUth. Dealer to sell POR-15 and most retail shops don't sell it. Very few shops if any have it you can walk into unless they happen to be a dealer. And then they are 150-200 miles apart due to POR-15's dealer region rules. Can't have to many dealers in an area. Sooo your pretty much stuck with on-line orders.

Dave

9. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I have used POR 15 on all my stuff I fabbed - bumpers, rock sliders, ect. I will be using it on my tire carrier I am currently fabbing up. The stuff has worked great, but the key is the prep of the metal. You don't prep the metal correctly and it will peel on you.

BTW, I recently ordered some from our new POR-15 advertiser and have been impressed with the great customer service so far. I see you are a CK5 member and entitled to the 10% discount from the www.por-texas.com site.

10. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I ended up going with black Eatons. The 6 lug rim has 4" BS but I wanted 3.5". Only after talking to them, the 8 lug comes in 3.5" BS. SO after all this it was cheaper in the long run to buy from them instead of the bare metal Rockstomper wheels.