Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

POR15 as Sound deadening and rattle control?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BorregoK5, Jan 23, 2002.

1. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I'm in the process of aluminum diamond plating the entire rear interior of my k5, replacing all the stock interior panels. The bed is totaly rust free and in great shape. I've been thinking of getting the entire interior rhino lined to assist in sound deadening the trucks sheet metal from the diamond plated sheeting which lays on top of it all (bolted and screwed down). Would POR15 provide what I'm looking for or should I stick with the Rhino lined aproach?

I started with nothing and I still have most of that left! - <a target="_blank" href=http://www.echobit.com:81/k5/> Pictures</a>

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

POR15 goes on like thick paint, nothing like rhino lining. It's tough stuff, but not up to the job of deadening vibration. It dries hard, not flexible.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: &lt;a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html&gt;www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html&lt;/a&gt;
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by dyeager535 on 01/23/02 03:56 PM.</FONT></P>

3. BigBadCad

BigBadCad 1/2 ton status

POR15 is nothing more than paint in my opinion...although it does a great job on rust.

I've always liked using ice shield for sound deadening/dampening purposed. It's cheap and very effective. I'd sandwiching a layer between the sheet metal and the diamond plate your have bolted down.

1980 chevy 4x4 1-ton crewcab, 500 caddy, York OBA...work in progress.

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I live in sunny San Diego.. what is "Ice Sheild"?

I started with nothing and I still have most of that left! - <a target="_blank" href=http://www.echobit.com:81/k5/> Pictures</a>

5. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

save the money and herculine it! I just finished mine and it looks great.

Surfing is Life...

6. BigBadCad

BigBadCad 1/2 ton status

Ice sheild is a roofing product that's an asphalt/tar based product that they sell in rolled up adhesive backed sheets. I like it becuase as I mentioned previously it is pretty inexpensive and easy to work with. It cuts with a knife and you can mold it with a lillte heat. The stuff isnt's tough, rugged, or pretty, but if you are covering it anyways it might be the ticket. I've used the stuff under my headliner, under the carpet, and in the trunk of my VW 2000 watt mobile soundroom to reduce road noise and stop my trunk from rattling.

1980 chevy 4x4 1-ton crewcab, 500 caddy, York OBA...work in progress.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Only problem is that in his situation, anything like that only serves to keep water from evaporating off, promoting rust. Rhino lining or the like should be much better since it effectively seals the metal from water. (and probably air)

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

8. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

My only concern with the Herculiner as well as the Ice Sheild is the Odor. I just yanked all the factory tar paper out of the truck and my mysterious odors are gone. I'd like to get a plastic or rubber based coating rather than tar type. Is the herculiner tacky when dry or hard.. does it smell?

9. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

Are you kidding me...It smells like ass for about a week or so. I plan on being convertable 100% of the time so that doesn't really matter.........

Surfing is Life...