Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

por15 or rust bullet

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jpdrake, Mar 24, 2007.

?

por15 or rust bullet

1. por15

56.5%
  2. rust bullet

43.5%
  1. jpdrake

jpdrake 1/2 ton status

"POR-15, Inc., the World’s leading manufacturer of permanent rust preventive coatings"
    www.por15.com/

"Rust Bullet Beats POR 15 And Other Market Leaders In independent Laboratory Testing"
    www.rust-bullet.com/

"Factory Direct Paint Savings that will knock your socks off!"
    http://www.magnetpaints.com/

"So before investing the time and effort into your next auto restoration, industrial maintenance, or home corrosion project, remember [SIZE=+1]K B S or Klean - Blast - Seal...[/SIZE]it's your formula for success! Guaranteed! "
    www.kbs-coatings.com

whos used what and how much did it cost?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  2. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I couldn't decide between them so I went with Eastwood's 3 step process. However, I haven't put it on the truck yet...

3. johnnychimpo

johnnychimpo 1/2 ton status

Rust Bullet. I used it on the underside of my bed & rear half of my frame last fall. Two coats per instructions then a coat of satin black. This stuff covers very well and went farther than I thought it would.

4. jpdrake

jpdrake 1/2 ton status

any pics? how much did you spend?

5. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have used both, and costs are close. It does go farther than you think it would. I just used the Rust Bullet a few weeks ago, so durabililty testing hasn't been achieved yet for me. The POR-15 I've used for a couple years now, and unless you scrape it off on a rock or something it is very durable. Road debris, and even hitting it with a hammer hasn't made it come off. I have found that if you don't completely seal the area with the stuff, it allows moisture to get underneath and it will peel.

6. jpdrake

jpdrake 1/2 ton status

with any luck im hoping to be able to do the tub on a rotisarrie and the frame and axels sandblasted in a colaspable garage then depending upon the prep involed "bullet or por15" the frame and undercarige, then should i linex them on top of the rust profing or is that pissing $ away? then roll them both into the garage and build up from there.

if you look up my sn in you'll find my pics

7. johnnychimpo

johnnychimpo 1/2 ton status

Just under $90 for four quarts w/ shipping. Don't put it on anything you dont want it on. Once it dries its there. No pics but should have taken some. Maybe this spring when I do a cab swap and finish the frame.

I wouldnt waste $$ on line-x. I just rattlecanned over my rustbullet(liked a black frame better than a silver one) The only thing I wish I had done was remove all of the hangers/x members to totally coat the frame. several spots had scale on 'em that I couldn't coat to my satisfaction.

8. mrdrinksalil

mrdrinksalil 1/2 ton status

Ive used both rust bullet and por15... heres a little secret... there's something better than both of them. Its called chassis saver from a company called magnetic paints. http://www.magnetpaints.com/

I've used it on the frame of my truck as well as a rusted out radiator core and its amazing. Also, it is WAY CHEAPER! maybe $35/quart

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If your going thru the trouble to sandblast it, why not put a better system on...

Some rust, used, etc frame, that stuff is great.. but fresh steel will hold up better with a zinc, epoxy, urethane system..

10. jpdrake

jpdrake 1/2 ton status

all the posts ive read say por15 or bullet would last longer then paint wont chip or flake off after time. only reason i wanted to sandblast was to have a smooth finish. all the pics ive seen looks like the texture of the rust. more likely that salt, dirt stick to a ruff surface then a smooth one. right?

11. ryoken

general consensus isn't always right...

Lot of uninformed people in this world, the power of advertising and all..

All hail, the miracle products, Por 15 and RB!!!!!!!! :bow: :haha: :bow: :haha:

But what do I know..... :crazy:

12. jpdrake

jpdrake 1/2 ton status

hey i cant sit here and admit i know what im taking about b/c i dont, i apprecite your opinion!!

the one good thing is the ability to brush it on as oposed to sraying it on....?
    if i spayed id have to make a spray booth right? and a decent gun and evaperator.

13. ryoken

Sure, never said it was the cheapest or easier method...Just a better process...

yup, RB goes on nice with a brush, covers a ton, hides lots of stuff, very easy to apply, and safe unless of course you get it on your HOOTUS!

14. mrdrinksalil

I put the chassis saver on with a foam brush. The stuff coats so well you never see the brush strokes. That radiator support in the pic was brushed on and you'd swear it was sprayed. You dont waste so much brushing either.

15. jpdrake

jpdrake 1/2 ton status

that radiator support looks like factory!! good job. any more pics?

16. ragtagman

ragtagman Newbie

Your right, if you have the advertising $$$ one can make their product look like the best thing since sliced bread. We used to use porcrap until we found a product no one has mentioned here yet...KBS Rustseal. www.kbs-coatings.com the stuff is more user friendly than porcrap, adheres better, stands up to sun better (still recommends a topcoat), comes in 8 colors, and is 10% less than rb and 15% less than por.

2 buddies and I went to a swap meet in the Houston area where there was three por venders and one kbs rustseal guy. The kbs guy was swamped with people while the por guys were dusting off their cans. The guys around the kbs were all chirpin' about how good it was and less expensive. So we gave it a try and are very pleased. pictures to come.

17. jpdrake

jpdrake 1/2 ton status

thats good to know!!! so far i thought por15 was the way to go <for about $500> lets see those pics!!

18. mrdrinksalil

I might have a pic of the inner fenders I did with the chassis saver, I'll check tonight. They look better than brand new right now. They were all rusty, I scuffed up the surface and foam brush painted them. the chassis saver fills all the pors and has a glass smooth finish. If its something thats giong to be in direct sunlight you should topcoat it though as it does fade in direct sunlight, but it never loses its rust proofness. You can paint over some REALLY bad rust too and it will NEVER rust again. I swear by this stuff! its awsome. My frame looked like it needed to go to the scrap yard and I did the whole thing with chassis saver. Its sat outside for 2 NY winters before I moved to GA, and it looks like the day I painted it...

I think they still give away (or a small fee) samples of the chassis saver. Give them a call. They will send you a metal plate half coated in it too and you can see how flexable it is. You can bend the plate in half and the coating doesn't chip. Its a real hard finish too, you'd be surprised.

19. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

To dip or not to dip?

I have had great results on both of the restorations I have done using por15, but rather then sandblasing or wire wheeling I just take the parts (Yes I took the entire 65 chevy pickup frame) and get them acid dipped. There is no way you will miss any rust pockets between frame components or inside a door when you dip the parts then seal them up with por15 or somthing like it. I spent about $1000 getting my last truck done (frame, bed rails, body tub, doors, hood and fenders) and was VERY pleased with the results.

20. jpdrake

jpdrake 1/2 ton status

i wouldnt evern know where to start to look for someone who would acid dip..?