Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

POR15 Time ! A Few ?s

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by daleearnhardt01, May 26, 2003.

1. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Well now that my high school career is over I can concentrate on fixin the rusty floorboards in the truck. I pretty much know my plan of attack and have a fellow member (83ZZ502 Jimmy) thats goin to help me out. I have a few questions about what I should purchase as far as POR15 goes.
    Heres a link to whats goin on in the floor RUST

What exactly should I buy? (I guess Ill buy from TexasPOR15 since they are part of this board) I was thinking fiberglass stuff on the real small things maybe. I want to coat the entire floor (front/rear) on both sides.
    Do I need the metal ready and marine clean stuff?
    I just dont want to buy the wrong thing.

Oh if you notice in the pictures theres a coating on top of the foot wells. Anybody know of a better/easier way to get this crap up? Its almost impossible. haha

Thanks yall, sorry for the essay /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

2. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

If you go to my webshot pics, you can see some pics of the POR-15 project I did on my floor. I didn't have the big problems on the sides that you do. I had small holes in the floor area and also rot in the channel by the doors. The biggest holes were thumbnail size, with longer holes in the channel. I used the POR-15 mesh on all of the holes. I removed all the paint off the floor first. I used the aircraft stripper suggested by some that I got from Wal-Mart. It worked only ok. I went to the hardware store and got JASCO paint stripper which worked better. I had to coat it and strip it several times to get the paint off. Stripping the paint was the biggest pain in the whole project. It took a combo of paint stripper, numerous scrapings with a variety of tools, a wire wheel in a drill, and a wire hand brush to get all the paint off. I was seriously tempted to break out the sandblaster but it is sheetmetal and I was worried about warping or blowing a hole through it.

When I got it to bare metal, I used the Marine Clean to get all the grease and other goobers off. Then later I used the Metal Ready prior to painting. I laid down a coat of POR-15 and then laid the mesh over the holes. I put extra POR-15 on the mesh and tamped it down with a rubber gloved finger. When the paint was tacky, I did my second coat. Later I went back and did some of the more thrashed areas in the channel with their POR-15 POR patch. I was very happy with the way it came out. Pics here: http://community.webshots.com/user/douglasgrant under floor project.

Despite the skeptism of some, the mesh and the POR-15 are hard as a rock. I was also worried initially that I should weld instead. If I had larger holes, I would have. But for me, the POR-15 mesh, paint, and putty worked fantastic. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif You have some holes that would be an easy fix but that side area is going to be problematic. Welding would be the best for that fix I think.

3. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Whats a good way to get all the old paint off the floor?

4. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I don't think there is one unless you take it to a media blaster. There is a media blasting place close to my house that I may use when I do my other Blazer. Other than having it bead blasted off, you have to do what I said above, repeated coats of stripper followed by a wire wheel I guess.