Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

POR15

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bking, May 10, 2002.

1. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

What do you's think of Por15?
    I bought a can, quick question, what sort of finish is the end result? Is it smooth? or does it leave brush strokes etc in it?
    I was thinking of using it on my rocker panels.
    Thanx

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

It is NOT a cosmetic coat. It leaves a very slick, ceramic like finish but it it not perfect. It doesn't leave brush strokes (unless you are really ham fisted) but there are surely going to be some variations in the appearance once it dries - and that is normal.
    It's cool to POR the rockers, but you then need to take some 180 grit sandpaper to the completely dries surface and then use a quality primer and then paint over it, rattle can or real paint.
    -- Mike

3. aandpman

aandpman 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yeah - I agree with that. I've used it to paint a D-44 I'm building, and have a quart coming to do a 14BFF.
    I bought the semi-gloss. It's great stuff and hard as nails, but I'd plan on putting something over it like <a target="_blank" href=http://www.off-road.com/suzuki/reviews/durabak.htm>Durabak</a> to get real protection from rocks, etc. The Por-15 is also not UV resistant so it will fade unless you buy the specific stuff with UV protection built in...

4. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

The Por-15 is also not UV resistant so it will fade unless you buy the specific stuff with UV protection built in...

<hr></blockquote>

<font color=blue>Yeah, it gets dull after a while. I painted the rear bumper that I made with it in December, and the parts exposed are starting to turn dull. Anyone know what I can coat this with to make it glossy again? I'm going to be adding some stuff to it in the next few weeks like a gas tank skidplate and spare tire rack, and I don't want it to be all different shades of black /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

IIRC, right on the can or instructions it says that POR-15 is not UV resistant and will fade when exposed to direct sunlight and "uncoated". Their instructions cover how to prevent this from happening.

6. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I don't mean to be a pain but..

I've tried finding POR15. I've gone to every auto parts store and department store in the area. It doesn't exist. Is there something similar to it? I'll be in a metropolitan area (well, a city bigger than 10k people) at the end of next week so I'll look for it while I'm there.

How much should I expect to pay?

Is there a place online that is worth ordering from (or would I end up paying hazardous materials fee?)?

Thanks
    -Brian

7. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I got mine at <a target="_blank" href=http://www.por15.com>www.por15.com</a>

8. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I got mine from the main office because it's near where I live in NJ

9. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

I got mine online at the POR website, I'm in Alaska, the shipping wasn't bad.....

10. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

goto www.por15.com. They have a list of regional distributors, and will be more than happy to point you to one closer to you. You'll probably have to call them on the phone.

11. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Spray some of POR 15's black coat over the POR 15. Clean the area. Scuff the old POR 15 with some red scotchbrite, get the dust off and spray away. The POR 15 Black coat is not U.V. sensitive and will not fade. They also make a semi gloss if that is what your after.