Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

PORC.....not happy, beware! *Updated* NEVER AGAIN!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddybuddy, Jan 22, 2006.

1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

well i finally had the money to order my dana 60 parts to finally complete my rig and finally get it moving. i was hoping to have it runnin this weekend. well i got some rediculously low price quotes off pirate from PORC, so i called them up, and they actually took a little bit more off the total cost. it seemed to good to be true....

well i got my parts pretty quick (within a week of ordering them) and everything looked good except that they sent me 35spline warns when i asked for 30spline (didnt bother to return them cuz i saw it as an excuse to upgrade, and found some 35 outers for a good deal on pirate). i was really excited that i finally was gona get it running. so i took the axle to local shop to get it geared (i dont trust myself) and they said they would have it ready in a day or so. i get a call back 2hrs later saying that the gears wouldnt set up because they sent me the wrong detroit, and hi-pinion gears, not low-pinion gears. he says that he only sends what the customers ask for (i specifially said chevy low pinion!) also that im going to need a new install kit because they already put the bearings on the detroit to install it. so i call PORC up and tell them what happened, at first the guy tries to tell me that i have the right gears, he keeps talking about the thick gears for 4.10 and down and im telling him he sent me the wrong gears for the wrong axle. finally he puts me on hold for a couple minutes and talks to someone else. turns out im right and they made a mistake. they tell me i need to send my gears and detroit back, then they will send me the right stuff. i also mentioned that i needed a new install kit because the bearings were already on the detroit and he says to jus press them off. so i call my shop up and they say that they prefer not to do that because its 50/50 if it will work or not. so i call porc back and ask to speak to the same guy and he says that hes not willing to give me a new kit, i said i would send the old one back and he says hes not sure if he can do that. i explain to him that this is very inconvienent and that i still have alot of money to put into my truck so if he wants my future business he needs to make me happy. he says that he understands and that hes the manager and he doesnt mind losing a LITTLE money but he needs to talk to the owner. so i guess he expects me to pay the shipping of the wrong parts back! the customer is always right, and im not sure thats there logic at PORC.

so as a result im goin to the shop tomorrow to go pick up my wrong gears and wrong detroit. ill keep everyone updated about what ends up happening. Looks like my truck wont be running for another 2 weeks probably. so close yet so far......:( :mad:

sorry for the long post, jus thought id let people know to watch out.

anybody else had problems with them?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2006
  2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

WOW that sucks. I bought my winch from PORC and they were awesome to deal with, but I guess everybody makes mistakes. How they fix it defines customer service. I would have the bearings pressed off, and tell PORC you want them have UPS pick up the wrong parts and deliver the new ones free of charge. It really won't cost them much. The bearings should be fine especially if a shop is pulling them off.

3. muddybuddy

yea the price i paid for everything was about $150 cheaper than anywhere else, but that shouldnt mean i get shafted. im going to call them tomorrow and ask about the UPS thing. hopefully it gets resolved correctly. thanks for the input

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Everybody does make mistakes. It sucks when it happens but it does happen. The few times it has happened here, I send out replacement parts with a return label for the return of the others. The only thing the customer is out is, time. Sometimes that is a really bad and sometimes the customer is not in a huge hurry so no biggy.

Hope you get it sorted out. They'll probbly treat you right.

5. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Had the same problem with ORD once. Good luck.:crazy:

6. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've had nothing but great service and the best pricing from PORC. Sorry to hear about the mix up but did anyone look at the description on the gears or locker. The part # should have had rev.cut on it somewhere. Seems like the shop could have caught that before pressing on the new bearings.

7. muddybuddy

well i just got off the phone with them, they are going to send me the new bearings, but i have to pay for shipping to send the parts back. they wouldnt budge. he says that i seemed confused when he asked what axle i had, when i specifically said that i have a chevy d60 low pinion, i duno how much more specific i can be about that. this is offically the last time i do business with them. they may have the best prices, but their customer service sucks! BEWARE

8. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Who is PORC?

9. muddybuddy

Performance Off Road Center

10. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

I think thats uncool. I ship parts everyday, If you make a mistake you pay the shipping both ways, If you give me correct information and i screw it up I pay the shipping both ways. It's that simple.
    For the bearings that were allready pressed on, that could go either way. One could argue there is some onus on the customer to confirm they recieved the correct parts before installing.
    Can you go further up the chain of command at this place ? Good luck.

11. muddybuddy

well i talked to the manager at porc, and that didnt seem to do any good. ill be posting up on pirate once i know for sure i have the right parts in hand. since PORC is a vendor there, maybe that will force them to do something about it.

12. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

That sucks

13. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Ya know, I bought a Detroit from them for my 14BFF ... they were way less than anyone else.

I called them, got voicemail, no call back by end of the day ... so I placed the order online.

They called me the next day, but like 24 hrs later... not at the start of the day, which is what I would expect. I very much got the feeling they're a one- or two-man outfit.

Took them some time to ship, and it turns out this is 'cuz they drop shipped it ... and charged me "actual" shipping costs from them to me, not from where it shipped, which woulda been about half as much. Whatever, sicne they were cheap... but I suspect they make some of it that lost margin back on shipping.

I wasn't all that impressed, but wasn't irritated enough to do anything about it. In the tech world we can expect better service as there's a million places selling the same stuff ... in the 4x4 world it doesn't seem like we have enough competition to expect people to WANT our business. Does seem like it's getting better, though, with more people selling doublers and other specialty parts.

Anyway, sorry your experience sucked, certainly was worse than mine ... you did the right thing, posting up and saying "This is what happened" without flaming them too badly. Presumably other folks will see this and act accordingly ... I call it "voting with dollars." I vote for the vendors who treat me well by spending money with them.

-- A

14. muddybuddy

exactly, next time ill go back to shane74 on here, he was so good to me

15. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

im happy to pay a fair amount more for good or great customer service then to try and save a few buck and get crappy service. that sucks and i feel for you. i have had some pretty terrible service from a few places too and i will not EVER shop there again. this PORC sounds like one of those places.

16. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

This is an example of what can happen when you pick a vendor based on the lowest price....

Sometimes with that "screaming deal" comes with lousy service, slow shipping...or unreasonable return charges.

Caveat Emptor.

:usaflag:

17. muddybuddy

well i bought from them not jus cuz they have killer prices, but everyone id talked to had said that they had great service as well.....i had a feeling it was too good to be true. so now i actually not saving any money, when i was originally going to save about $200.... now im going to lose a week of time in getting it running.

18. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

yeh those guys are in Athens GA. right? your not thefirst person i have seen ahve this type of problem with them.

19. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Did you deal with Brian over there...
    I talked to him when Alex wasn't in...
    I could tell he was lost...so I waited for Alex.

Tell them you have a post in ck5...LOL...they'll pay for shipping.

20. muddybuddy

yep thats them :mad:

so should i make a post on pirate4x4 after i get my stuff? they are a vendor there, maybe that would force them to change their ways. i dont wanna be a complete a$$hole, but i got screwed and i dont want anyone else to go through this crap.

what do you think?