Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pork smelling brakes?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BillyBob, May 30, 2000.

1. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

For some reason, my right front disk smells like pork frying when it gets hot. Don't ask me why.. I have no clue. Is there something terribly wrong?

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I think you are probably just reallllll hungry and imagined the pork smell. lol Go eat a few slabs of BBQ pork chops and see if the brakes still smell funny. And if they STILL do, then you might have a problem, but I have no idea what it would be. I apologize in advance for my feeble attempt at being funny. Later

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Maybe that's the "hot metal" smell I've heard of but never experienced...[​IMG]

Seriously, does your truck pull when braking? You may have a hung piston in the other caliper, or some contaminant on the rotor or pads.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

4. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Where did you get those break pads? The only ones I've smelled something similar where some very cheap low quality pads we had to put in an emergency during a vacation on my mom's Caravan.

One wheel was already contacting pad metal with rotor, making an awful noise. The only place we found open at that time had these rolls of the pad material. The guy cleaned the old pads from any material, leaving only bare metal. He then glued the new material to the pad metal and put them in an oven for about 20 minutes. That allowed us to return home from the 100 mile trip. When we arrived, we felt that strong odor coming from the front wheels.

You better check what brand you have there, 'cause you could be risking your life.

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

5. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

watcha got there is a cop special. cop shocks, cop motor, cop brakes. can ya smell-ll-ll-ll-ll-ll the brakes cookin'?

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>