Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Porsche CK5 style websites?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by zcarczar, Sep 17, 2005.

1. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Feb 10, 2002
    Im in the market for an older 911, is there any older Porsche websites that anybody knows of that I can do research on? I need a new DD, im tired of my silverado.
  2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Feb 5, 2005
    dont know of any web sites, but do have some advise. i would avoid one with air conditioning if possible. puts too much tax on the engine. also, some years had the heavy duty oil cooling which puts an oil cooler on the right front. holds about 14 gts of oil too! my father in law had a 75 911S and it was a pretty cool car. didnt notice not having a/c in the summer because engine heat isnt radiated into the floor boards.

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Mar 5, 2001

www.rennlist.com - This is the CK5 equivalent for Porsches. Run by a guy named John Dunkle. Used to be called "Porschephiles", but he had to change the name back when Porsche was doing all that "cease and desist" stuff for using their name on websites in the late 90's.

There is a publication called "The Esses" which specificially deals with the early 911s (up to '73)

"Panorama" or "Pano" is a good mag too. For owners only, so you'll need to provide a VIN # to get the publication. Lots of cars for sale in the classifieds though..

"Excellence" - Another good monthly publication for Porsches. You should be able to find that one at a good newstand. Usually once a year they do a "buyers guide" issue for early 911s...might be worth seeking out.

You probably already know this but the old 911s are really no cheaper than the newer ones, unless you get a rustbucket. I've always wanted a 69-73 vintage 911. They are so much lighter and more "pure" than the later ones. They didn't start galvanizing the bodies until 1976, so rust is a HUGE factor.

Also, if you've never priced a rebuild on a 911 engine or tranny you might want to sit down first!!!! It will take your breath away.

For the past 15 years or so, I've been pretty heavily involved with 911s, so if you start finding stuff you like (or have questions) just PM or email me. :thumb: