Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Porshe

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Jan 29, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I read in a different thread someone has a porshe... since they only have 1._ litre engines...how come they are so fast? :confused:

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I think they are a little bigger than that but they are also light and often single or twin turbocharged. No matter what a hotrodder tells you, there is a replacement for displacement, BOOST. That and nitrous. And a few other things but Displacement is the biggest.

3. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

that would be me. it's a 1.8L, dual carbs, straight pipes and a 5 speed. it's real real light. the speedo tops off at 150mph I've got it up to 120mph and I didn't want to do more.

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Are they all rear-engine? I have seen one on ebay that had the engine in the rear...maybe that makes them faster?
    Always thought they were a neat car...

5. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

there all rear driven. not sure about that making it faster. I was at an car show a few years back and there was an porsche like mine with an sb350 in it that was so bitichin kind of make me want to do it but I not any time soom.

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

would the 350 make it go faster? Or would it slow it down because of the added weight?
    Sorry If I am asking too many questions:crazy:

7. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

no no, all the new ones are 2 some liter on average and are also rear engine or mid engine. the older porkas had front engine rear transmission's. the 944, 924 and 951(its a special edition turbo'd 944 is all) are fast and ave about a 50-50 weight distribution. they handle well and that helps with being fast. slant 4's for the fornt engine models.

lots of hop up parts and what not for the 9x4 cars. they handle awesome and can be made very fast for just a little change. inexpensive to gt into as well. about 5k for a non turbo and about 7-10k for a 951 in good shape.

the 951 was a bit faster than the 911 of its era but was de tuned a bit. my buddy has a 951 now and had a 944 and we smoked a lot of cars out there.

they quit making the 944 in the 90's. i plan on buying an 86 or 86 951 some day and making ti a track car.

grant

8. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

not to thread hijack steve, but you remember the GMC Cyclone and Typhoon right? The Typhoon was put head to head with a porcshe and it beat it :D That's with the 4.3 turboed and the awd system :D

9. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

hey don't worry about man. I have know idea :thinking: but it sure sounded mean. my guess it would be just as fast with tuns of torque :D I would like to find an 914-6 one day but there rare they have an 6 cylinder engine.

10. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I keep getting catalogs in the mail from Porsche trying to get me to buy stuff like $100 shirts... The other day I got a letter inviting me to test drive the new 911 I think it is... I'd love to, but the monthly payments are probably around what I make a month, I'd get laughed out of the dealership before even sitting in one :haha:I think if I were to buy one of those fancy expensive European sports cars, I'd just go all out and get a Lambourghini Murcielago :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

11. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Rear engine DOES make rear wheel drive cars faster. Since there is no driveshaft there is less rotating weight. Therefore less parasitic loss of tourque to the wheels.

I'd love to get a 924 or a 944 some day as a track car. Kinda like the 928 too, even thought they're pretty ugly.

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay cool!
    What is the fastest model they made?

13. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

and remember that the rear engine also puts more weight to the rear tires that are your drives ;) more traction. :waytogo: Also handle a lot differently too. Like when cornering you need to actualy acelerate. Seen some porcshes spin out due to people who have too much money do not know how to drive. :haha: it's really funny.

14. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

That may be true, going head to head, but put them together on a winding course and find out who the victor is!

15. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

maybe but I find it very amusing that gm built a truck that beat out a procshe that costs how much again? And I doubt that the typhoon is a slouch in the handling department. It has different handling characteristics for sure but doesn't mean it cannot perform. I think it's all about who's driving it really ;)

16. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

Did you ever see that article Hot Rod did a few years back that did a side by side comparison between the 'vette and the lightning... kinda the same story.

Are we talkin fast or quick? A lot of the early 911's are not quick at all. If you say "porsche" most people immediately picture fast sports cars, which isn't neccessarily the case. Granted, todays porsches are pretty amazing - I have a lot of fun whenever I drive my friend's dad's '02 carrera 4 :yikes: :saweet: . But most the porsche's of yester year aren't that amazing in stock trim. If you consider more than just straight line performance, then they start getting more impressive. Check out sources for hard numbers - HERE is one, and HERE is another. Of course turbo's and limited editions are pretty quick.

MY POINT: Porschess aren't neccessarily as fast as people give them credit for. We have been socialized to imagine them as being these insane supercars, and for the most part, they aren't. I still love them and can't wait to get my hands on a 1972 911s

17. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

What about "Risky Business".....928

You forgot about the big boy 928. The V-8 Porsche (Front engine). 924 & 944 inline 6 (Front engine). 914 Pancake 4 Cyl. 914 Mid engine) and someone was right the rare 914-6 (6 cyl mid engine, but really it was a rear engine...Very fast great handling too). 911 (911 Rear engine)...very fast! If you just want the looks of the 911 there was the slower 912 too....

I own a 944 and yes their very fast. But they are exsense too. Parts for a Porsche is about 4 times the price for our K-5's. I was pushing mine and busted my timing belt. What a mess! Need to rebuild the motor or get rid of it. I had mine up to 125 and there wasn't any more road to go so I had to back off on it to make the turn. The are great on cornering also.

SOmeone was talking about the speed of Porsche in the Quarter Mile. Several things your looking at that porsche was never a car for strait out speed. it is a car that was engineered to do road courses. that is why it is so good in corners.

A couple other models that I didn't mention was the bath tub, 930, & 959

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
  18. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

definitely grew up very anti-euro car, hated that stuff. we where building mid 60's to mid 70's muscle car.

i remember the day i accepted and began to appreciate them, first time i saw a Lambourgini Countache.. man, that was a badarse looking car. Cannonball Run? :saweet: hated the day they changed that body... tho, the new one is pretty freakin cool...

anybody here remember the American made Vector?

19. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

YA the vector was pretty sick, i had a poster of it up in my room for the longest time

20. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

I fell in love and learned all I could about Lamborghini's when I saw my 1st countache. I liked the diablo better when that came out. Another personal fav is the Muira. That was a sweet car ;) And to think Feruciho (sp) started off by making farm equip out of old war machines :thinking: He's one cool dood in my book :waytogo: