Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Port matched intake pic's (finally)

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by tRustyK5, Aug 23, 2003.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Port matched intake pic\'s (finally)

OK, I still have no performance review, but I do finally have pic's to share of my intake.

Sitting on the motor...yeah i actually painted stuff/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[​IMG]

View from the top showing the bowl blend and knife edged inlet side.
    [​IMG]

Closer view of the inlet...

[​IMG]

View of the ports themselves. I enlarged the ports by approximately 25% over stock. The stock casting quality is very poor in my opinion, rough and not very symmetrical.

[​IMG]

As you can see in the last pic the ports are all smooth and symmetrical as well as being the exact size of the ports in the heads. I was amazed at how poorly the intake ports matched the gasket previous to doing this. It should flow better by at least 25% now. How that translates into seat of the pants power gains is yet to be determined.

I will update as soon as I have it running again...hopefully within a month or so.

Rene

2. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Re: Port matched intake pic\'s (finally)

Thanks Rene /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Nice job

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

looks sweet rene good job /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. BigDummy89K5

BigDummy89K5 Registered Member Author

the pictures turned out real nice with that camera,i like furd blue. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[just kidding looks good]

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    the pictures turned out real nice with that camera,i like furd blue. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[just kidding looks good]

[/ QUOTE ]

I do believe that is Chevy blue... Ford is darker. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. BigDummy89K5

ya i know it's chevy,i'm just teasing my buddy.

7. tRustyK5

I'd paint it black just to get you to shut up about it/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif...but black doesn't turn out good in pic's.

Kevin, I think you've already met Stan (BigDummy89K5) out at the farm in Abbotsford where you dropped off the 14 bolt./forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif.

Stan is my partner in crime, and there is no way I'll ever get done in time for Moab without his help...so he can bug me all he wants as long as he has a wrench in his hand while he's doing it./forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

8. BigDummy89K5

o.k rene what do you want,wrench in my hand more like a beer in my hand. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifwe need parts and time is not our friend. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

9. mirage

mirage Registered Member

very nice! Thanks for posting the pics, look forward to hearing the skinny pedal dyno report! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. tRustyK5

We could definitely use another month. Parts are coming...

[ QUOTE ]
    o.k rene what do you want

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if you're feeling energetic you could pull the heater core for me /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

I'll try and have the U-joints and stuff for the weekend, and hopefully I can get some tube delivered. It's long weekend so I'll have all Saturday and all Monday to get lots done (I hope)

Rene

11. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Rene, do you have a current link to these pics and possibly a couple tips on things to remember while doing this job? I'm wanting to do this to my 6.2 before dropping it in the K5. Thanks. ;)

12. tRustyK5

Those pic's were on my old computer, and in the old gallery so they're pretty much gone. :doah:

It's actually a pretty straightforward job. Things you'll need are a sharp steel scribe, and a carbide burr for aluminum. You'll need the intake gasket set too. I dropped the gasket on the intake and put a couple of bolts through to hold it in place. Then I used the scribe to outline where the edges of the ports should be.

Then I just started hogging the material out and blending as I went...and checked my progress using the gasket. I also blended the bowl area removing sharp edges and anything that looked like it would impede airflow.

Rene