Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

port/polish 6.2 heads and exhuast?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddybuddy, Jan 9, 2007.

1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

ive found a semi-local diesel k5, and the guy out in a 6.2 crate motor and "built it a little bit" before he put it in. he says that he has ported and polished the heads, and ported the exhaust and some other little things. are those things really going to give any power gains? from the looks of it, it looks like it would be a perfect rig to put all my bling parts into, i just have to get him down on the price. what do you think about the port/polish stuff?

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

why wouldnt it work?

3. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

no i mean is there going to be any noticable improvements? i hadnt really heard of people doing it with 6.2 stuff, just curious.

4. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

yes... if you can enlarge and smooth the exhaust ports, that will help exhaust flow and reduce backpressure and build power...

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yes it will work. People don't do it because people just don't bother. No one really puts THAT much effort into 6.2s or 6.5s. I've always wanted to go all out on a 6.2L. Port heads, intake, throw some headers on it. See what you can do with an N/A 6.2. I just always feared it would still be entirely unimpressive(except for mileage, got to give it to them) to spend my money on. Diesel guys in the tractor pulling world are porting and polishing heads all the time.

The only question is... did he just HACK port and polish? Like, open the crap out of the ports, (in my most redneck slack-jawed voice)-> cause that there is the way to more power, der.... Or did he do a good job?

6. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

What I have read is it does help but gains are minimal as compared to a gas engine. Most think it is not worth the effort. So I wouldn't pay more for an engine that's had it done as far as a diesel is concerned.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I noticed a difference just port matching the intake...but IMO the intake casting is typically poor compared to the heads. There were several intake ports that needed over 1/4" removed down one side to get the port to align with the gaskets and the head ports. The ports were also very small compared to the head and the gaskets.

More air=more power.

It was also a pretty much free mod.

Rene

8. iwaxmyjimmy

iwaxmyjimmy College web wheeler Premium Member

look at it this way. its an air pump. the more in and out the better. which is how u make higher horsepower.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2007