Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Portable CO2 tanks and heat

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MadIrish, Sep 7, 2001.

1. MadIrish

MadIrish Registered Member

Just a quick note. I was reading about the portable air tanks running off CO2. Killer articles but I thought that one thing warranted mention. The properties of CO2 make leaving a bottle sitting in the heat somewhat dangerous. CO2 expands at a ratio of something like 20:1 (I cant remember) when it turns into a gas. I have heard of 9 or 12 oz tanks sitting in a hot trunk of near a campfire exploding. One guy’s car trunk was about blasted off the car :) These bottles I am used to dealing with have burst disks. If they function properly, the burst dist allows the rapidly expanding gas to shoot out the side of the fill neck, above the liquid line. Do these tanks people are building have some sort of safety feature too?

Also, as obvious as it is, the liquid is really damn cold! Be careful if you come in contact with the liquid because it can freeze skin on contact. Because it is so cold and a luquid form, never turn the bottle upside down. You don’t want liquid to enter tires, tools, or anything else. Of course unless you are transferring liquid from one bottle to the next or you can have a sip tube installed in the bottle in which the bottle would remain upright, but that is another whole thing.

If a hose blows, get away! I have seen lines blow from a small tank and the loose line will turn into a S&M freaks dream! It can do some serious damage as it whips around uncontrollably.

Now, don’t get me wrong, it’s not nitroglycerine or anything but it should be handled carefully.

I just thought that should be mentioned.

*******82 K5 All stock but wheels and tires, 305 4bbl, tranny? NP208*******

2. 1990SilveradoK5

1990SilveradoK5 1/2 ton status

If using a standard CGA320 valve they have a built in pressure relef valve(3000PSI). This will blow off the excess pressure below the burst rating of the tank.

I have seen tanks here at work go up to 1800+ psi just setting in the sun on a 85-90 degree day.

Yes safety should be looked at very closely when using any pressurized gas/liquid.

Gone Large and Loving It.
    Keith
    Manchester, MI

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

SAFETY!! yes in deed!!
    I was going back and forth with a home built solution or the Ready-To-Run solution, PowerTank.
    I went with the Powertank. basically cuz it is a provin setup for the trail rig and ALL the safty features are in place and the harware used is top quality. Yes I may have been able to save a few bucks even buying top quality parts to put it together but hey whats a few extra bucks anyway? It's just money!! I hate the stuff!! Kinda like a mean woman that is hella fine and like to play in the sac!! Hate it but Can't live with out it!!...........

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

4. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I agree totally, safety should be your number one priority! Just for the record, the Power Tanks do have a pressure release valve built in that are designed to control excessive pressures safely.

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

While scavenging the web recently, I came across a k5 owner who had sealed and converted his rear tube bumper into an air tank. I couldn't help but think of him while reading the above posts and imagining what's sure to happen should that truck get into the right situation at the wrong time.

What, Me Worry?

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I know some bumper makers quit selling bumpers as optional air-tanks. No idea why really. If such a bumper got damaged, it would prolly just be a slow hissing leak or something until it was empty. Assuming a good regulator was on there to relieve pressure before the "tank" blew, it shouldnt be much of a problem. Personally, I am getting a reg/hose kit from Indy 4x4 so I know the parts are high quality etc...and a tank locally. CO2 tanks have to be certified as safe annually, so even a reconditioned or used tank isn't a bad option. Cheap anyway. I found a place on the www that had 20 gallon tanks, if you got 4 or more they were $69 a pop...not sure about shipping...but not a bad deal. If I had all kinds of cash, I would get some. =(

Jason

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown

7. AussieK5

AussieK5 1/2 ton status

Heres some verified test data for CO2 bottles ( or any compressed gas cylinders others than acetylene)

Nominal max air temp (shade) 46C or 115F
    Bottle temp will equal 56C or 133F if light coloured
    65C or 149F if dark coloured

Note: 65C or 149F is usually the max service temp for a bottle ie a baseline temp for determining max working pressures.

Take from this what you will.

8. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I leave my tank in the truck all the time and it never gets above 1200psi. in the sun.And thats when its 103 outside.

A balanced diet is a beer in both hands.<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>

9. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Safty should always be considered, but don't worry yourself onto the couch. Life has dangers. Wheeling to the point of needing on board air is most likely more dangerous than riding around with a tested &amp; certified safe CO2 tank in your truck. I have nothing against Power Tank, but I will not pay extra for something when there is no reason to. I enjoy working on my truck and building things is part of that. I don't need someone to gather parts for me. The stuff that we have been dicussing here is designed for high pressure gas. The only safty issue I can think of when using CO2 is to make sure the bottle is verticle with the valve on top.

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Tread Lightly!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com>www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com</a>