Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Portable Heather Questions (For a garage)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Corey-88K5, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
  2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I've used the kerosene heaters and the propane heaters and they work good but if you dont have good venting for air flow, you'll get a headache real fast. I ended up putting in an electric and have been much happy with it. Just got one of those forced air wall inserts. Nailed it to the wall and ran the wire into the fuse box.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Watch out with Gas fumes. There was a recent post on PBB of a guy up in BC that had a electric heater going got messing with some fuel lines. The electric element ignighted the fumes. caught him on fire. wife put him out got everybody out of the house and by the time the Fire Department got there the whole house was a total loss.

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I guess that would apply to gas heaters also, or any heater with a large open flame.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Do you have a picture of this girl "Heather"? Aren't all girls portable? What is she going to be doing in your garage? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Seriously though... This is the garage heater that I want: http://www.reznoronline.com/mpd/pub/reznor/products/v3/UDASINDX.htm No flame is exposed to the garage. It sucks outside air into a sealed combustion chamber and then sends the exhaust back outside. No fumes from inside the garage can get into where the flame resides. It gets hard plumbed into the natural gas (or propane) system and runs using a thermostat, so it keeps the temp very stable. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

6. NetBlazer

NetBlazer Registered Member

Dang HarryH3,

That heater is SWEEEET! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif How much does something like that run, just in case I wanted to try to get it past the Financial Appropriations Committee (otherwise known as my Wife /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif ) Are we talking flowers and evening out or are we in the jewelry territory?

I have one of the portable propane ones now, but the fumes can get a little intense, and I'm not terribly comfortable working on some projects with an open flame around. Plus refilling the bottle all the time is a bit tedious.

Thanks!
    Sean

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I priced the previous model in that line last fall. The one with the sealed combustion chamber cost $924 plus installation. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif So yeah, we're talkin' jewelry here! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif There's a similar model that doesn't have the sealed combustion chamber that goes for around $500 plus install. I'm saving for the sealed one. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif Expensive, but you never have to fill up a tank or have the heater in the way or worry about blowing yourself to kingdom come!

8. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Only problem with Heather, is that She sometimes hot and sometimes cold hehehehehehehehehehehe....lol

9. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

So I guess if you keep her turned on all the time she's allways hot!! Dang women take so long to warm up....kinda like a chevy!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

10. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Sometimes they need to blow off steam and cool off or they will wear out ya know.....